My Thrifty Car Experience (Airport)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used Thrifty.com to book our car reservation for 17days last May. Checked under Deals and there was one for $60 off a 2 week rental in Cozumel. Reserved the car and printed the coupon. Cost per day after the $60 off was $10.75. You can’t purchase insurance on line. But I found out later that you could purchase it over the phone with a state side Thrifty rep. As to not be surprised I calledThrifty here in the states and got the number for Cozumel. Called and talked to Carmen who told me full coverage with zero deductable was $39 per day. The same as quoted from the rep in the states. We negotiated it down to $30, which I was happy with. Seemed to be in line with what others had paid. The total price per day was in line with the other rental companies that I have dealt with in the past. But forgot the insurance was pretax so add another $64 to the total cost. Carmen informed me that you can only pay withCredit Card or pesos – no US dollars. I would pay in pesos after seeing what my car rental really cost me last year after putting it on my CC.

I used Thrifty for three reasons. The cars are newer; they are located at the airport (no van fees for transfer to offsite shop), and great reviews. This was my first experience with Thrifty. They did upgrade me from a compact to a midsize. Received a 4 door automatic with AC andless than 6000 K on it. Plastic was still on the visors. Had radio and CD player and of course a few dents and scrapes. Nice to listen to some music while driving around the island. Next time will bring some CDs. Had no issues with the car, drove great and AC worked great and was really nice to have.

One of their representatives met us at the airport with a sign with our name on it and took us to their shop. There were 4 people infront of us, getting and returning cars so it took 20 mins to be on our way. We just wanted to be on our way but just hit the shop at a busy time. When our turn came their rep wanted to keep my $60 off coupon, said it would be safer with them. He was right, one less thing for us to keep track of. When turning the car they had the coupon they took, settled with them and then was dropped us off at the airport in the same car.

Thrifty was great to work with. The only issue I had was the exchange rate they used on the contract – 13.98. I didn’t realize what that rate meant until 3 days after renting the car when I was figuring how many pesos I would need to settle with them at the end of my trip. I questioned them on it when I returned the car and they did adjust it to 12.98 which they didn’t have to do. Will use them again on my next trip in 2013.

Was asked on another site why I didn’t want to use my CC and why I asked for the exchange rate tobe reduced. This example only deals with my transaction and my CCcompany.

I present this for informational purposes only and believe all themath, etc is correct.

The exchange rate at the bank at that time was about 12.5 for changing USD to pesos.

I was glad to get the 12.95 since I had already signed the contract and it was nice of them to drop it.

Total Rental Charge was $756 USD. Using the rate of 13.98 on the contract (13.98 X 756) equals 10568.88 pesos that will be charged to your CC orif you pay in pesos.

Now using the rate of 12.98 (12.98 X 756) comes to 9812.88 pesos. That is a difference of 756 pesos - a savings to you. At the current exchange rate at the time of 12.5 that’s $60.48 USD savings if you pay in pesos.

OK let’s say you paid with your CC. Your CC is charged 10568.88 pesos using the initial 13.98 rate on the contract and if like mine a 3% service charge is added and the rate of exchange is always lower than the current rate at the banks that I could get from an ATM with no fees. So let say your CC uses a 12.25 rate a ¼ point below the current 12.5 at the time (10568.88 divided by 12.25) comes to $862.77 plus the 3% service charge, $888.65 your CC will be charged.

So the car rental cost of $756.93 ends up costing $888.65 ifusing my CC and the initial rate of 13.98 on the contract. This is the reason I try not to use my CC in Cozumel and watch what exchange rate I’m being charged. I don't know what other CC charge. Thisis based off my experience with my CC.

Very nice detailed write up! Glad everything went well!

Brules:
Very nice detailed write up! Glad everything went well!

Thanks, just hopes it answers some questions that others might have.

Try a "Capital One Venture" card. There is no 3% foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and they get the best exchange rate possible each day (much better than you and I would get anywhere in Mexico). These (exchange rates) are savings that are passed on to the card holder. I do use cash (pesos) as much as possible when I'm in Cozumel, but that is an awesome card to have especially since almost all the other banks get you with the transaction fee! I think they have a pretty good travel rewards program as well, but I have not researched it.

Happy Traveling!
Colleen

Try a "Capital One Venture" card. There is no 3% foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and they get the best exchange rate possible each day (much better than you and I would get anywhere in Mexico). These (exchange rates) are savings that are passed on to the card holder. I do use cash (pesos) as much as possible when I'm in Cozumel, but that is an awesome card to have especially since almost all the other banks get you with the transaction fee! I think they have a pretty good travel rewards program as well, but I have not researched it.

Happy Traveling!
Colleen

Best option of all would be an ATM.

Nice write up!. I also used Thrifty in January '12 and was upgraded to a Jeep at no charge. I found the rates competitive and had my credit Card (Capital One Venture) send me 2 original signed copies of proof of insurance as long as I used their card for the transaction. So I declined the insurance and saved the money. Each of us has different comfort levels of insurance protection so buy it if you are more comfortable. The proof of insurance was accepted at the counter. Returning the Jeep was zero hassle and they even helped me with my bags to checkin. Count me as a big fan of the airport Thrifty also !!

But watch that last gas fillup and stand by the pump the entire time and make sure it's reset before pumping.

And count your change, even if you are paying in pesos. The gas jockeys are bandits.
It happens. In a small town on the way back from Chichen-Itza a few years ago, a guy tried a variant on us. After the tank was full, he quickly reset the pump, not realizing that I could see it from where I was sitting. He told us the total was about twice what it really was. I told him, no, it was this much, and I handed him the cash. He said he would call the police. I told him go ahead. I smiled and said "nice try, though". He grinned sheepishly. We drove off. No police came.

Back
Top Bottom