My Telephone Pole valve design, better than an H-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Take a gander at this valve I designed. Besides the inherent snag risk (present in h-valves anyway) I designed this DIN dual valve with the knobs bent over the shoulders
for those of us single tank divers who dont practice yoga routinely. After owning both a thermo H valve and a Beuchat Y valve (which is the best Ive found yet) I have found that reaching thier knobs without tilting my rig to be tricky at best. This way they are near your ears and you dont have to buy the OMS "slobwinders." The post is much higher than average H-valves. I call it the telephone pole and drew it in google sketchup. Any feedback on my design?

Attachments

• Telephone Pole.GIF
    Telephone Pole.GIF
    42.9 KB · Views: 98
  • telephone valve 2.GIF
    telephone valve 2.GIF
    35.2 KB · Views: 53
Take a gander at this valve I designed. Besides the inherent snag risk (present in h-valves anyway) I designed this DIN dual valve with the knobs bent over the shoulders
for those of us single tank divers who dont practice yoga routinely. After owning both a thermo H valve and a Beuchat Y valve (which is the best Ive found yet) I have found that reaching thier knobs without tilting my rig to be tricky at best. This way they are near your ears and you dont have to buy the OMS "slobwinders." The post is much higher than average H-valves. I call it the telephone pole and drew it in google sketchup. Any feedback on my design?

Unless it's maybe a foot and a half tall, it looks like it would just smack me in the back of the head all the time.

Terry

Last edited:
Looks like a real complicated solution to a problem that really doesn't exist. You can have about the same result by lowering the BC on the tank. That design is not only not practical, it would cost a fortune to produce.

I'm assuming those are the outputs on the lower branches. Since they are not inline with the knobs, how do you shut the gas down?

DM

maybe this helps..notice the attitude...
of course these are very rough models and things are not exactly scaled 100% but you get the general idea I think. excellent feedback on the valve stems being away from the outputs...wasnt designing from a practical engineering standpoint...

Attachments

• head 1.GIF
    head 1.GIF
    25.1 KB · Views: 51
  • head 2.GIF
    head 2.GIF
    15.5 KB · Views: 52
maybe this would be more realistic to shut the valves on and off.

Attachments

• side mounted.GIF
    side mounted.GIF
    26 KB · Views: 88
What happens when you look to the side?

Now sketch the guys head with regs and hoses attached.

Have you tried grabbing the 1st stage to pull the tank some, and then grabbing the valve? Before getting too complicated, I'd just switch to small doubles for complete redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom