My Sealife Universal Strobe isn't working properly!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

idocsteve

I'm posting this from my room in All West Apartments in Curacao...we're on day 2 over here and besides the usual post dive headaches that have been plaguing me as of late, the diving is terrific.

However my pictures aren't going to be all that great because my BRAND NEW Sealife Universal Strobe isn't working properly. It worked before we came down here, and it worked at the start of the first dive yesterday, today it was DEAD.

I opened it up post dive, put in a brand new pair of (tested) AA batteries, and NOTHING. I left it open, thinking that perhaps moisture was trapped inside, and an hour or two later I turned it on...and Viola! The whine of the strobe was heard, and it fired when I pressed the shutter on my Nikon Coolpix camera that has the fiber optic cable running from housing to strobe.

However, the "Test" button does nothing, that button didn't work when I unpacked it either...and I'm just hoping for better luck tomorrow.

If a Sealife representative reads this please tell me if there's anything I can do about this problem or if service might be available in Curacao.

Thank you.

Edited to add: I just checked it again and now the "Test" function works properly as well. Go figure.

At least I'll have some great pictures of the mirror in the second bedroom.

Hello Steve,

Sounds like some moisture might have gotten into the housing of the flash. Keep me posted on how it is working now. You can PM as well.

Joe

I have pm'd Joe further regarding this matter and am waiting for his response but if anyone is interested, here's what happened on my trip.

I just got back from Curacao last night.

The strobe problems plagued me throughout my trip, I am quite disappointed. As I said I only bought the thing a few months ago and this was the first dive trip I used it on, and I won't be going back to Curacao (or anywhere else) anytime soon.

The strobe worked intermittently..I found if I turned it on only to take a picture, and then turned it off, I could do this for most of the dive but after maybe 6 on/off cycles it would not power on again until I tried it hours later. If I left it on, it would shut off on its own and not come on for hours. The symptoms are almost like it was "overheating", if that helps.

Edited to add (Joe this was not in the pm: The "Test" function (where you slide the on off switch to the right to check the flash) didn't work even when the red light was on.

Please advise further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom