My recent GoPro experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeycanuk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got 2 Hero 2 in Sept for a decent price and didn't need them until our Christmas diving trip so I was thrilled when the 3 came out..........

Well putting the 2 together with the LCD backpacks, Sola action camera tray, dive housing, filters etc etc led to me putting one of the GoPro's with the wrong back door that come with the LCD (there are 4!) The one with the ventilation holes. You can guess what happened. But not right away mind you.

These 2 were for my wife and 11yr old son to use. However I went first as you all know its another skill to learn and added another layer of complexity to a dive. I got better at it but this dammed black spot was in the video. Cleaned everything but that dammed spot was still there so I decided to use the other housing. Yes THAT housing, but at the time...who knew?
Funny how someone noticed bubbles when the rig (gopro,the Sola tray and 2 Sola 1200's) was put in the camera tank on the boat. The DM and I just said it was the Locline that was trapping air and making the bubbles...not. Didn't take very long to figure out something was wrong just before the decent when it would not turn on and I looked closely and saw water. As one can imagine doing this on my wife's birthday as well made for a quiet ride back. On Salt Cay the surface interval is done back on shore so I hopped in the golf cart (very few actual vehicles on an island of 80 people) and took off alone to get the other housing.

After the second dive the DM saw a pod of Dolphins so we went over and before you knew it off my son went in his snorkel, followed by myself and the other diver. AND the working GoPro! Which (all Karma points now used up) even had power (a few times it didn't on the 2nd dive). The video is ok but needs work and the SRP filter didn't need to be on but I'm still learning.

Got some amazing video but thinking I will probably get 2 Sola 2000's to go with what is the dilemma. Use our existing rig for Cayman Brac in Aug and wait for the 4 or just get the 3 and damm the 4 should it come out a few months later.

The 2 Sola 1200's just were not quite enough IMO. Also the 2000 spot is only $100 more than the 1200's we got (has the 1200 gone down? )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom