My own lube stick!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anyone knowing which DIY material we can use for plastic zipper? maybe there is already a thread around for that, but buying sticks from here in Chile is very expensive with shipping. Am a bit concerned about putting whatever DIY thing on my plastic zipper on a neoprene drysuit, but would definitly do one myself if am sure I dont screwup with what I use...

Couldn't a person use an emptied deodorant stick container as the canister? Already has the dial up and lid and oval shape, just needs to be cleaned and reourposed when filled with wax.

Couldn't a person use an emptied deodorant stick container as the canister? Already has the dial up and lid and oval shape, just needs to be cleaned and reourposed when filled with wax.
There is an Amazon link for those kind of containers on page 1.

DW

There is an Amazon link for those kind of containers on page 1.

DW
I saw that but why order more plastic when you already have workable plastic at home.

Aren't we trying to use less plastics?

I saw that but why order more plastic when you already have workable plastic at home.

Aren't we trying to use less plastics?
Not everyone uses that kind of deodorant. Nothing wrong with reusing them, nor is there anything wrong with ordering them if that fits the bill.

My personal opinion is that plastics are here to stay. I would be more concerned with what is done with them afterwards.

DW

Not everyone uses that kind of deodorant. Nothing wrong with reusing them, nor is there anything wrong with ordering them if that fits the bill.

My personal opinion is that plastics are here to stay. I would be more concerned with what is done with them afterwards.

DW
That's why I'm keen on repurpose rather than order new.

Deodorant stick's are significantly larger than that design. The point in doing is the fact that its very thin, enough to fit the neoprene slaps around the zipper. Its almost as wide as the zipper itself.
As per the picture in my second reply, its like 14mm wide

anyone knowing which DIY material we can use for plastic zipper? maybe there is already a thread around for that, but buying sticks from here in Chile is very expensive with shipping. Am a bit concerned about putting whatever DIY thing on my plastic zipper on a neoprene drysuit, but would definitly do one myself if am sure I dont screwup with what I use...
I was using paraffin wax until I read that since paraffin wax is made from petroleum, like neoprene, and could degrade the neoprene then I opted for bees wax. Hence why I made that stick

The main risk to plastic zippers is damage caused to the fabric (usually canvas) holding the plastic teeth. If you have access to bee's wax to melt inside these containers we are talking about, that would be a harmless and effective DIY solution .

That's why I'm keen on repurpose rather than order new.
I agree with the re-using containers in general.
An alternative to buying an empty one could one be a used chapstick tube.
Here in South Florida that tends to be among the number 1 item given away for many events. Seems like if you get a bag of swag, a tube if chapstick with some company logo will be inside for sure.
So maybe looking in the junk drawer would be the solution for this.

Back
Top Bottom