My new toys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I found these babies on Craigslist this week... Have to weld together a stand and then ... let the manufacturing begin.

The first is a lathe mill combo. Has no auto feed function so no threading capability. This machine was still on the base of the shipping container and sat around for so long that it was filthy and not working very well. After 3 hours of scrubbing and taking stuff apart to clean it, oh, plus 3 cans of WD-40... She works like a dream... Price $250... New= $600.

The second is an 8x20 lathe with auto feed. Older, but for $350 not bad. Came with quick change tool post/tool holders and a few other things. He wanted it out of his garage!!! The guy has a full machine shop with CNC mill in his 2-car garage..

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
What you going to make first?

Your last para made me laugh! Friend of mine (engineer,surprise) annexed his single car garage and made it into a metal shop. Lathes, welding tables, paint booth, dust filtration system, sand blasting booth, drill presses, CNC milling stations and perhaps a 1.5' path between everything.

His wife is very understanding.

He builds bird houses...

Canisters first... Light heads or Delrin spools second.

Very cool find.
While not a fan of Central Machines, they still can do the job and for the price you paid makes then even nicer!

Yeah, I wanted the Grizzly 10x22 but at $1050, I'll take this one for $350.

Good stuff. I know you will have hours and hours of fun with them.

I brought a similar used lathe mill combo that didnt have power feed. I upgraded to a new unit the same but with power feed after 6 months.
Also have a Sheline micro lathe.
Have used both to make or modify dozens of lights. Make parts for my rebreather and a P valve for my dry suit.

I hope you realise that the lathe is the cheap part. Just wait until you realise the tools you now need!

I hope you realise that the lathe is the cheap part. Just wait until you realise the tools you now need!

I buy most of my tooling on eBay. You can get some pretty good deals on tooling there. The hard part is knowing what you want!

D

Good stuff. I know you will have hours and hours of fun with them.

Yeap, luckily I had started to buy some cutting tools and boring bars a while back. So I should have most of what I need. I'm building a work bench right now. SHould be done tomorrow and then, I'll turn some stuff. Probably start with modding a Mag Lite the proper way. The ones that I have done so far have been crap!

I do need a 4"-5" 4-jaw chuck so I can do eccentric work!

Back
Top Bottom