my new BC gave me a big headache !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar problem with my Mares Vector BC with MRS+, but in 2 different modes.

On 1 one of the pockets, one of the 2 straps pulled through and the remaining one caused an unexpected release. I fixed it and that issue went away.

The second mode started when I stuff too much junk in the BC pocket next to the MRS weight pocket. Twice it released. I am sure the strap thing was not an issue and I am absolutely positive it was clicked in.

My conclusion is the MRS+ pockets are not trustworthy with lots of weight, especially when the adjoining storage pocket is in use. They are rated for 13lbs, they might work for this under perfect conditions, but that is not what I plan for. I am not trying to bash Mares, I think the problem is shared with many weight integrated BC systems, simply most are not designed well for loading with enough weight for temperate or cold water diving.

For now, I use the integrated MRS weights for warm water dives. Within its limits it is a decent BC. For temperate waters I use a DUI harness which I trust much more or my Ranger with the rip cord (which I also trust, but the dang thing is a monster size and weight wise).

I see. Well just googling that, 10lbs is the limit the pockets were designed for.

Have you considered putting that weight on a weightbelt?

R..

But that 10 lbs is for each pocket, not total

I have a Mares Icon MRS Plus and ive put max weight on each pocket last 4 dives just to get rid of the belt. It was so hard for me to make the pockets click on the locking system but when it clicked, it clicked. You must hear a click sound with Mares bc`s.

2 months ago i borrowed another Mares vest with same locking system and the pockets were secure only when i`ve heard the click sound.

click, click!

thanks for the inputs guys, now when I think about it, I did insert those pockets while the BC was inflated. and that may made it difficult to fully insert the pocket to the clips to click on both sides.. I don't really know. but during the last dive I did try to pull them off without using the eject handle and they were secured pretty well.

oh , and the water here? well my computer registered 32C at start of dive and 31C during the dive ! so I would call that HOT instead of warm :D

That's another philosophical problem I have with integrated weights. If the weights are in the pocket when I put on the BC, the thing is too heavy to lift. I use 20# of weight (would need an additional 6# if I actually used a BC) and the tank is 43#. Add in something for the regulator and it's around 70#. That's a bunch for an old man...

I much prefer to carry the weight in a separate harness. Not only is it more secure but I can put on the equipment in stages. 20# for the harness then 50# for the BP/W

If the weights are not in the pockets when I don the integrated BC, I take the chance of not getting them fully latched.

I think I'll just skip the experience and stay with either a BC w/o weight integration or a BP/W with the vast majority of the weight in a harness separate from the BP/W harness.

Richard

Yes you infact need to make sure the pocked has clicked when you push it in. I have once lost a pocket when I was practicing with my weights removal and replacing with my Mares Icon. That was in the pool and i found in a coupe of minutes that I have lost one pocket. After that I was always making sure it's secured before the dive. It never happened after that.

rstofer, My zeagle is just a ziper pocket with like weedeater line holding the bottom of the pockets shut so it is very easy to weight after putting it on and you dont have to worry about a clicking, just pull the zipper shut and your fine. I like it a little more than the pocket inserts just because if i get careless its less stuff to lose too

The only reason I was so excited about those weight pockets when I decided to purchase the Dragon is the fact that I thought I don't need to wear those extremely uncomfortable belts I'm familiar with (and I'm a newbie) anymore, and my experience with those belts is one with lead weight slide-ins, they were very uncomfortable.
if you suggest belts and weights of high quality and are comfortable to wear I would certainly look into those.

those mares pockets are rated 9lb on each pocket and I was using 5lb on each.

and its so true that with those weights attached on the BC , lifting and wearing the BC became really annoying specially when the ambient temperature above water ranges between 45-49C.

Just a few minutes ago I was testing those pockets again in the house, trying to pull them in anyway I can. I think like what most of you said, I really really need to hear those clips CLICK, and can only be sure while the BC is fully deflated.

now regarding shifting of those weights inside the pockets. Mares manual states that there should be some kind of mini velcro or strap inside the pockets to keep those weights from shifting. as you can see from the attached pictures, those so called straps are not apparent :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0733_resize.JPG
    IMG_0733_resize.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0734_resize.JPG
    IMG_0734_resize.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0736_resize.JPG
    IMG_0736_resize.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 35
Mares makes 2 sizes of the MRS2 pockets. They large size (13 lbs each) have velcro inside to keep a lightly loaded weight from sliding around. The small size might not have nor need such a feature, not really sure. FWIW, I would be very comfortable using 5 lbs in these pockets, it is maxxing out the big ones at 12-13 lbs each that gets scary for me. With 5lbs the loss of weight is an annoyance more than a safety issue.

I'm willing to bet you just didn't put it in right at the start of the dive, it happens. Just be more thorough with pre dive checks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom