My NC Wreck Shark Shootout results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just home from a week in North Carolina participating in the NC Wreck Shark Shootout. It was my 4th year in a row and the first time I've had a photo place in the competition. Woohoo!!! :D

I hope y'all enjoy looking at 'em 1/10th as much as I enjoyed shooting them!

All were shot with an Olympus E-M10 + Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens in a Meikon housing, with a Nauticam WWL-1 wet wide angle lens on the front.

I was diving my rebreather and MAN the difference that made compared to past years on open circuit!

I WILL have a Full Frame camera rig before next year's competition!

I got 2nd place in the Shark photo category with this shot:

13_Shark.jpg

None of my other submissions placed, but this is what I submitted in the Wreck photo category. It's not really a wreck photo, so I understand it probably had no chance anyway.

13_Wreck.jpg

And then these 4 were submitted in the Body of Work category.

13_Portfolio_2.jpg

13_Portfolio_3.jpg

13_Portfolio_1.jpg

13_Portfolio_4.jpg

Congrats, awesome work work Stuart! :cheers: Your image that placed is especially beautiful!

Oh and given the excellent quality of the images, please note the parasites on the nose of the sharks. I don't know what species they are, but they're quite common on the sharks.

These are some great pics. I take a lot of N.C. shark pictures and these are impressive. Really makes me want a rebreather even more.

Thanks, @RyanT!

Yeah, all the sand tiger sharks down there seem to have those... well, one buddy called them "nose goblins". LOL

I have wondered what they are, but I always forget to ask someone who might actually know.

All of the competition days, I only saw sand tiger sharks. Yesterday was a final day of post-competition diving and we saw a bunch of Sand Bar sharks, as well as Sand Tigers. But, I took the day off from shooting, so I didn't even take my camera on the boat. I don't recall seeing those nose goblins on any of the Sand Bars. But, they were also more skittish, so maybe I just didn't get close enough to any of them to see those. Now I do wonder if they are specific to the Sand Tigers, for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom