My Lionfish Slayer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef_Haven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My tested Lionfish Slayer.
5 lionfish first day in Pompano...

28" arrow shaft
18" 3/8 in Surgical Tubing - spear gun band
12" nylon cord (few drops of super glue to hold in arrow shaft)
2 zip ties
5/16" brass compression fittting
3 6" sections of 1/8" steel rod
plastic pen body for paralyzer cover

pompano_052.jpg

pompano_054.jpg

pompano_053.jpg

I like it, how quick between shots. I made a goby slayer spear gun to deal with our invasive species problem but it takes too long to reload. Did you solder the 3 steel rods into the brass fitting?

Excellent. good job!

NICE......REAL NICE!! If I had had that killing machine when I was in Belize a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have missed smoking several of the spiny bastards.

After chopping the head off a Lionfish, am I the only one that feels like I've just killed the neighborhood gang overlord, and all of the little fish are rejoicing/dancing in the coral streets as I swim away?:D

I like it, how quick between shots. I made a goby slayer spear gun to deal with our invasive species problem but it takes too long to reload. Did you solder the 3 steel rods into the brass fitting?
I did not solder, but it would be good to.
Two of the prongs have slipped about a 1/2" deeper into the shaft through the compression fitting from hitting rocks.

Very sorry if I missed it but what happened to the OneSpeed Lionfish killer design that was to be tested in the Bahamas?

Good diving, Craig

hmmmer.gif
nice. The pen body to cover the pointy end is a very good thought.

hmmmer.gif
With all the arrows my two young hunters and I have I could arm quite a few divers.
hmmmer.gif
Even the ones minus a fletching or two would work.

I would love to bring my old Hawaiian sling with me to Bonaire for sticking lion fish, but they really would not be happy seeing me with such weapon, either on the United flight, or on the island, where spears are a big no-no
nonononono.gif
ne_nau.gif

Your hunting arrow DIY is a good idea. Could even shorten the arrow somewhat to keep it stow-able.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom