My first wrist seal replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
The other weekend I had planned a dive with one of the kids. I'd gotten a new suit and - more importantly - a new undersuit and needed to check that my weighting was right. Buddy hadn't been under water for more than a year and needed a shakedown dive. So off we went to our regular training site. I'd geared up and was ready to close my zipper when I hear "I can't dive!" Turned out both their wrist seals were toast. That's what you get for leaving your suit unattended and unloved for over a year!

Since my LDS charges more for replacing one wrist seal than for a box of glue and two seals, I decided to try my hand at it. Checked in with some people I know in the local community to get some advice and went surfing the web for instructions. I found a very nice description here: Drysuit Wrist Seal Replacement

Job's just done and it remains to see if the seals are tight, but all in all it was about as difficult as I hoped. IOW, quite doable if you haven't more than two or three thumbs. I used Beaver Aquabond glue, and while it doesn't take much glue to replace two wrist seals, measuring out a very small amount of hardener accurately isn't that easy. So I decided to use half of the box. That means I can replace at least one other set of seals before I have to buy more glue. Removing the old seals was pretty easy, no need for heating. I just pulled them off carefully. To prevent the suit from sticking to the plastic bottles in the arms, I covered the bottles in cling film before inserting them. I sanded the surfaces with 180 grit paper since that was what I had in house, and used a small hobby paintbrush to apply the glue. The job was made a bit easier by the fact that this was a neoprene suit which stretched rather nicely over the bottles I had put in the arms.

All in all less daunting than I anticipated. I believe I deserve a beer for a job well done :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom