My first solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep29

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for all the good post you have made. - I have been following the solo forum for a while, because i knew that one day, i would be in a situation where i could not round up a buddy for a dive...

It happened today, so i took my usual gear which consists of BP/W, individual dobb. AL80, and doubled up on knife, SMB and reel.

Went to my usual beach dive spot, 14 m deep, 25 meter surface swim, and artificial reefs (read junk), which im very familiar with. I chose to do 4 x 30 min dives, rather than 2 or 3 60 min dived which i normally do with buddys who mostly dive single tanks.

I did less swimming than usually, accented at half my usually rate and took 5 min safety stops... Everything went fine. I used more air than i would on a buddy dive, even i did not feel nervous or stressed about the situation.

At the end of my 4th dive other divers actually showed up at the site, we had the usual talk about temp and vis, they asked about the ID setup, which they had never seen before, and never seemed to register that i was diving solo.

I'm glad that i did it, i would for sure do it again, should i end up in a similar situation.

"consists of BP/W, individual dobb"
forgive my naiveté, but wut?

ETA BP/W = backplate/wing?

Last edited:
individual dobb= independant doubles

"consists of BP/W, individual dobb"
forgive my naiveté, but wut?

ETA BP/W = backplate/wing?

indies are fine, but I prefer a single 80 or 100 with a side slung pony, less weight to carry than two AL80s

Anyway congrats on your first solo dive, mine was not planned, I went out diving with another photographer who basically disappeared overboard before I had my kit on so there was no choice really, either sit on a boat for over an hour or go solo diving.

Congrats! Sounds like a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom