My First Shore Diving Trip to Santa Barbara and looking for Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dzydvl33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Like the title says, this will be our first trip to Santa Barbara. We, my wife and I, will be there October 16-18. Will will be diving the 17th, possibly the 18th. We are looking for any advice on dive sites, shops, places to avoid, must sees, anything, even restaurants. Any advice/local knowledge will be greatly appreciated. We would also be open to meeting up with some locals if you are planning to dive that weekend.

As far as our experience. My wife is a newer diver with 13 dives. During those dives we dealt with some low vis and rough entry and exit at times. Myself, I started diving when I was a kid but took a long break do to Life and started up again when my wife wanted to get certified. Most all of our dives have been in Monterey. We are looking forward to the warmer waters for sure.

shore diving is not your best diving opportunities. But if you really want to do some diving then head out to Refugio. It's about 17 minutes north of Goleta right of the 101. There are 2 good reefs about 100 yards off shore. Talk with one of the SB dive shops. They can be of real assistance for other spots. Goleta beach was probably my worst dive ever but on a real good day you might have a chance. Lived there for 22 years.

There is only 1 real dive shop in Santa Barbara: SB Aquatics in Goleta. If you want to do beach dives, Refugio as mentioned is easiest entry and has facilities. Tajiguas is good but requires a short walk up and down the cliff. No facilities there. Restaurants depend on budget and taste. There is good wine tasting in town as well. If you PM me I can give you suggestions.

Well we just booked a day on The Spectre for Friday the 16th. We are super excited to go dive the channel islands. We will probably still try to hit Refugio Saturday or Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom