My First Saltwater / Warm Water dive on 11/30/10 by NCL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butchbs1985

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,
Being from the Midwest, I have booked a cruise on Norwegian for the week after Thanksgiving to escape the cold. This will also be my first saltwater dive as well as my first warm water dive so I have a couple questions.

I will be diving in Grand Bahama on 11/30/10 and the two tank trip was booked through Norwegian Cruise Line. I plan on bringing Regulators, BCD, and my Boots / Fins. My questions:

- Should I plan on bringing exposure protection? I currently have a 7mm Semi-Dry but imagine that is FAR too heavy.
- If I should bring something, what would you recommend? Might be a good time to buy a new suit. I've been contemplating getting a Whites Fusion for a while.
- Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I'm a little concerned about the fact that the Cruise line only requires one dive within the last year for this excursion but perhaps I'll luck out and get an experienced dive buddy (Regrettably, my wife has not yet tried SCUBA). :idk:

I have many dives from boats / shore / dock in midwest quarries and Lake Michigan but is there anything other than buoyancy that should be notably different? Of course the salt but I've snorkeled in the Keys many times.

Any and all advice is appreciated! If you're on the same cruise, I'd love to know others doing this excursion as well!

It is hard to recommend what type of exposure protection to use since it’s hard to tell your cold tolerance. Personally I dive down to about 75-76 F in surf shorts and t-shirt but my wife gets cold in a 3mm in 80 F water.

The average published temps say it should be around 74-80 F (averages) for that time of year however I have been around New Providence in early January when a cold front moved through for the entire week and the water and air temp was 64 F. I wore a Polartec fleece under a 3mm and was cold, especially the entry.

So if you are using a wetsuit, the temps stay in averages and depending on how cold you get, I would think a 3mm or a 5mm would work. Possibly a 3mm with a core warmer might work as well. If you do get cold easier then you might consider a farmer john and jacket. It sounds like you dive dry or semidry and mentioned White Fusion. It appears they don’t make wetsuits so I have the impression you wanted to keep diving dry.

One thing about the Bahamas is that it is generally windy even without storms or cold fronts. So you may get chilled on the boat after the dives in addition to wind driven waves.

You might face currents that you have not seen in your previous dives. Some sites may have little or no currents. Though the currents generally run the same way I have had them switch direction so plan for that if you use a moored boat. I am not sure what kinds of dives you had before but I would definitely pay attention to your air consumption and navigation (due to currents, group separation, etc). I dare say the visibility will be much better than what you are used to.

Thanks for the response. I suppose I should have posted my temp tolerance. Once the water gets above 70 degrees out here, I'm usually ready to dive in swim trunks. (Of course, diving in quarries, the thermoclines quickly put an end to the nice temp at the surface). I suppose I'll pick up a 3mm or a dry suit and lightweight undergarments. (It'd be a good excuse to start diving dry). :wink:

Thanks for the note about currents as well. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
My husband and I often dive in the Bahamas the first week in December and we wear just lycra skins. The water has been around 80 degrees each time. If you wear a 3mm suit you'll have to add that much more weight, which can be a pain!
Have a good time!

So I bought a Whites Fusion drysuit that I will be taking with on this cruise. I figure I"ll just wear under armor and should be fine in the warm water. I'll be diving with UNEXSO who appears to be well liked by others on SB.

Anyone else diving with them on next Monday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom