My first post certification cave diving trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a trip report that may be of interest for those thinking about getting into cave diving.

After last months Cavern and Intro to Cave Diving certifications, I wasn't exactly enamored with this facet of diving. My skill level combined with the high flow emanating from the springs that make up the Ginnie Cave network, just were not all that inviting.

But I am not one to give up on something without really giving an new endeavor a chance. So Chrisp and I made plans to meet up in High Springs Friday afternoon - a 400+ mile drive from Key Largo. There were tentative plans to hook up with some other divers, but in the end it was just Chrisp and myself. My thanks really goes out to Chrisp as his comments, suggestions and words of encouragement were sincerely appreciated over the 2 full days we spent diving - a better buddy one could not find.

Details:

Unbelievably Chrisp was less than 2 miles behind me after I hit I75 just South of Ocala and he was rendezvousing from Fort Myers. In less than an hour we had checked into the Cadillac Motel in High Springs.

Cadillac+Motel.jpg

The Cadillac Motel bills itself as an Old time Highway Motel and I emphasize old. But the rooms are clean and large. The full size fridge and microwave ovens in the room are a plus. The car did not come with the room...

After getting a some fills at Amigos a uber friendly 24 hour fill operaton

banks_486.jpg

fisll_station1.jpg

and an early dinner we were ready to hit Peacock Springs http://www.floridacaves.com/PeaockMapFull copy.pdf first thing on Saturday.

Peacock offers a variety of entrances to its system of caves as well as some "sinks" that provide mid point opportunities to surface mid dive (we never made it to those points).

We started out at the Orange Grove sink entrance which is covered in Duckweed early in the day before the divers have a chance to stir things up. This unappealing surface condition covered crystal clear water that we enjoyed at the beginning of our dives.

Orange+Grove+1.jpg

The stair and path system at Peacock is first rate. They even have changing rooms to help in donning your drysuit undies and the like.

Orange+Grove+2.jpg

The rock formations above ground don't do justice to what this caves system has to offer.

Orange+Grove+3.jpg

On the first day we made two dives at Orange Grove and then moved over to the the Peacock 1 basin and did 2 dives on the mainline. This system is totally different from Ginnie, basically no flow; so buoyancy control is key as the bottom is primarily silt and clay that is easily disturbed. Some areas that look like rock are just protrusions of clay built up over the millennium. By the end of the day I was tired, but I was starting to feel a bit more comfortable in this unique environment. Oh yea, my line skills still suck, but I am working on it.

After a bit of a bonfire at Wayne's and a pretty iffy dinner in Fort White we did go to the Great Outdoors restaurant in High Springs for a couple of cocktails. Recently remodeled to a level that is rarely seen even in major cities - this classy eatery seems a little out of place in old High Springs. We even ran into Naked Ed himself (with cloths) sitting at the outdoor bar.

naked-ed-for-website.gif

As some what of an anomaly, Ed doesn't drink beer even though his name is on the label.

On Sunday we returned to Peacock. After a warm up dive on the Peacock 1 mainline we did a dive on the Peanut line. All I can say was fantastic. Things finally gelled for me on this dive.

Interestingly the Peanut line includes a narrow passage about 150' into the cave. While much narrower and restrictive than anything of any distance than I had dove before, the nature of the pace it demands just made me feel totally comfortable. The area goes on for a about 150' I would estimate. Right before it dumps down back into a wider passage, we came upon some other exiting divers who were really mucking up the place. Three of the four were diving rebreathers, but while they may know something about the equipment, their cave diving skills left a lot to be desired. That seemed to be a common theme, as a high percentage of rebreather divers certainly did not seem qualified to be in an overhead environment. I think the ability to go long distances with minimal gas concerns is a dangerous lure for many of these divers. In the end we made over 800' into the Peanut line, my longest passage to date.

After quickly getting out of the water (I had to pee like a race horse), we decided to go over to Little River and try that system for our last dive. Little River is locating in a what I believe to be a county park that does not charge any sort of entrance fee (Peacock charges divers $10/day). Little River basin is somewhat flooded. While this negatively effects the vis. in the basin' it does reduce what is normally a high flow cave to a very manageable level. This cave system also was much deeper than the sections we dove at Peacock. Our max depth was 97' on this dive.

I hope I haven't bored y'all too much. I am certainly not going to give up diving the Oceans and Great Lakes any time soon, but I also will be making other sojourns back to cave country in the not to distant future.

I guess you did not read my signature line. I have a serious UW rig and have posted images from Great Lakes wreck trips.

I need quite a few more cave dives before I would even consider taking my set-up in a cave - for my safety as well as the safety of a $10K + investment.

I have taken a couple of decent UW images over the last few years.

Stalker+Hold+6.jpg

or
Ben+over+under+2A+sm1.jpg

This image has no Photoshop work, just a great day and a great model (my son).

Nice topside photography and documentary.

But, where are the underwater photos??? :(

I think you need to get a housing and strobe next.

I guess you did not read my signature line. I have a serious UW rig and have posted images from Great Lakes wreck trips.

I need quite a few more cave dives before I would even consider taking my set-up in cave - for my safety as well as the safety of a $10K + investment.

I have taken a couple of decent UW images over the last few years.

You did stay within Intro to Cave guidelines, right?

We had no objectives on any dive. I was diving 6ths, no jumps and only the max depth at Little River was any sort of concern and on that dive I turned the dive well before required - the first dive in each new cave for me is a bit stressful, so I take it super easy.

After each dive, we did anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes of in water surface deco just to relax before getting out of the water.

Just wondering what would bring you to ask the question?

You did stay within Intro to Cave guidelines, right?

Last edited:
Nice one! Welcome to the wondrous and addictive world of cave diving.......

Great report, Jeff. My first post-cert trip was a memorable one. We did a day at Madison, a day at Ginnie, and a day at Little River. Nobody shutting off my lights, taking my reg, losing my line... it was wonderful :).

Amigos is a great place to get gas and Peacock is probably the best intro cave for distance in NFL given the shallow depths and low flow. I get down there around 5-6 times a year and I love every minute of it. I hope your trip has let the cave bug bite you a little harder! Hope to see you down there sometime.

Enjoyed the report, I read nothing in it to indicate you broke any standards(not sure where anyone would have thought otherwise).

It's really great when things start to click, isn't it?

I loved the upper Orange Grove dive, especially the part right before the distance tunnel takeoff, where the cave gets very vertical and zig-zags. We didn't get to dive Peacock proper, as it had gone under the day we arrived :(

You watch, this cave diving thing is very habit-forming!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom