My first liveaboard - Black Manta or Queen Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm planning on taking my first liveaboard cruise in Thailand in mid-Feb.

I've been contacting a dive shop to figure out which similan cruises to take, and it looks like only Black Manta and Queen Scuba are avail for the dates specified (2/10 - 2/23)...I'm looking into mid-high budget range, going solo but don't mind sharing a twin/ bunk bed cabin with another person. A cabin w/ an ensuite bathroom&shower will be strongly preferred (i specifically checked Nautica - told only budget bunk bed cabin's avail).  

So what are the differences between the two? Pros & cons? The prices are comparable.

Any feedback will be much appreciated!:)

Looks to me like there is ONE space on Black Manta 17 - 21 Feb and thats the only space on Black Manta within your dates ... and Queen Scuba has a few spaces in a QUAD cabin on 16 - 20, again thats the only space on that boat within your dates. Nautica - only bunk cabin from 14 - 18 Feb.

Colona 6 has spaces in twin cabins from 13 - 17 Feb, might be option for you too.

If you wanted Black Manta better book it today! if you want a twin cabin, Queen Scuba is out, as only that Quad is available.

Cheers
Jamie

You could actually do a somewhat longer trip on Colona VI and take in the southern islands as well as the Similans/Richelieu for a 6d/6n trip. Colona offers good value for money at the moment on a solidly mid-priced boat.

If you do choose the Black Manta, let me know. I'll be aboard at those times. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the boat or diving there but I won't compare them as I am pretty biased. I work on it.

Thank you for your comments!

I tried to book the BM 17-21 trip today and was told it's all booked up now...*cries*
Just based on my review of various websites, BM seems more popular than the other comparable ones...

The dive shop is telling me Pawara has some availability for those dates. How is Pawara? Seems the number of customers per DM/guide for Pawara is larger than that for BM.

If Colona VI 6/6 trip 2/11-17 has any availability, that may work best for me...a bit nervous about going the Southern islands as many of the sites appear to be marked "advanced divers only."

How do Pawara/ Colona VI/ BM compare?

These are all nice boats, and there may be others in a similar category as well. BM is sort of special in that many Singaporeans favor this boat, as she's essentially a Singaporean vessel, so in addition to the regular international clientele, she has a local following as well.

I wouldn't worry about the southern sites. They are not any more advanced than the ones you'll do in the Similans. As for the size of the dive groups, boats do their best to keep the number of guests/dive guide to about a 6/1 ratio.

@Zippsy, I really like the Black Manta as well. Will you be on March 28 - April 1? If so, will see you then. I wonder if we met before as this is my 3rd trip on the BM. I organize a trip annually for divemates and former students. I have 7 for the trip thus far.

@Mixmaster, the Similans can be challenging for newer divers. Just stay within your limits and follow the advice of your dive guides. I am sure any of your choices will be good ones. Post a trip report when you get back. I am sure many will appreciate it.

Hi Arizona, I have seen your trip reports and I don't think we have been on board together yet. I believe Owen and/or Chris have been there on your trips though. Chris will be there again this year. I'll be back in Singapore getting ready for the Layang2 and Komodo trips as well as ADEX.

Sorry to miss you. Chris is a star so it will be a great trip. I tend to prefer to go back to the BM largely because of the crew. EANx is a big plus as well.

I've just booked the Colona VI 4/4!
Many thanks for all of your helpful comments. I'm so excited!

Another thing I'm contemplating is the overnight trip to Koh Phi Phi...worth it or no?
Also, ais there ny way to go to the southern islands other than liveaboard (since Colona 6/6 and Mermaid II cruises have no avail for those dates)?

Back
Top Bottom