My First Light Purchase--Good News and Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSharp13

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be doing my first night dive in Mermet Springs (Illinois) soon, and decided to buy a basic light kit with everything I needed. After some research and price consideration, I went with the Adventure Pack by Princeton Tek.

Normally, I purchase through my local shop or SCUBA.com because I have been very happy with both of them, and SCUBA.com has free shipping. In this case, I had a gift card to DiversDirect.com, so I decided to give them a try. They had the light, but I was fairly disappointed with their website, their selection of other goods was limited, and their prices were competitive, but not internet competitive. I still decided to go ahead, since it was a gift card.

I received the lights, but was immediately disappointed, as upon opening the box, everything had quite obviously been opened. Not necessarily used underwater, but definitely opened and used. I called them, and after acting like I was crazy, the rude representative told me that they would send me a return label.

After two weeks, I finally received the return label via FedEx. I immediately boxed the lights, and returned them. Using the tracking label, I found out that they received the box 1 week later. Another week after that, I had still not received a confirmation from them that they had received the box, nor had I gotten an e-mail that they had sent me my new lights. I called them and yet another rude rep stated that they would be shipped tomorrow. Two days later, I got an e-mail that they had shipped FedEx ground.

Finally, almost 7 weeks after I received the original lights, I got my new package. Amazingly, it was the new style of box, and the lights were packed as they should be. I can only assume that they were trying to get rid of an old return that had been made, and were hoping I wouldn't gripe about it.

Now, the good news (kind of). Upon turning on the main lantern light, the low worked, but not the high setting. I was about ready to throw these lights out the window. Note that this is not in the previous section because this is not necessarily DiversDirect.com's fault. However, I really didn't feel like dealing with them again, and waiting another 7 weeks to get a new light. So, I called Princeton Tek. Their representative was incredibly helpful and nice, and helped me try a few things to fix the light. After this was done, he determined that one of the filaments in the dual-filament bulb was bad, and told me that they would immediately send out a new bulb for me. 3 days later, I received it, and my light is working and ready for my trip. I guess next time, I need to order stuff 6 months in advance instead of 2!

In summary:

Thumbs down to DiversDirect for their website, customer service, and for sending me used product.

Thumbs up to Princeton Tek for their customer service, and willingness to service a brand new product instead of telling me to send it back to the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom