My fin booties chafe behind the ankle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supercritical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the title says, that's what happened on the last dive trip. The rear of the booties rubbed off the uppermost layer of skin behind my ankle. Anyone have a solution?

Wrap the affected area with Duct Tape for a short term fix, wear nylon dive socks for a longer term fix.

Bob
-------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Lycra scuba socks $10
-or-
Old pair of dress socks
-or-
Small piece of duct tape

Also sounds like your feet are moving around alot in the foot pocket....in addition to the socks others suggested, I would add structure to the foot pocket...maybe a good sized Orthotic to fill up the foot space--or fins with a smaller foot pocket if you cant get a good fit.

The orthotic can be a great way to eliminate cramps of the foot which some divers get.... Most of us have arches in our feet, but the fin manufactures have not put arches in the fins like running shoes--you actually benefit enormously from them.

Might be worth trying on some different booties in dive shops, too. Yours might be too big. I just replaced my booties for that reason a few weeks ago. Also, I went with booties that did not have a zipper because there was nothing to rub my feet. I went with these: SCUBAPRO - DELTA SHORT BOOTS It's a soft neoprene, with a bit of a rubber sole at the bottom. Comfy.

Also does your suit go under or over the boot? I find with my 7mm which has a glideskin seal under the boot, then a flap that zips over I don't have an issue. In my 3mm I have more issues with the boot chafing where the bottom hem of the suit is stitched over onto itself, even with a lycra sock underneath.

If you put your wetsuit legs inside your boots, when you get out of the water you end up with cankles.:D Mine always goes over the top of the boot, and I wear the lycra socks too. It makes putting the wetsuit on easier and keeps my feet from being eaten up after a week long dive trip.

Back
Top Bottom