My Compressor build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
49ED0CB1-82FF-426A-9F3F-63A8D5B33141.jpeg
16E4409B-5C03-491C-AB44-A3C7E9ED4E13.jpeg
I am currently piecing together a small compressor based on plans from decades old Popular Mechanics. I modified the compressor loosely following the directions. I’m using a 1/2 horsepower electric motor. Tonight I cnc plasma cut the plate that mounts both the motor and compressor from 3/16” steel. Next step is measuring for the drive belt. Then I need to come up with a switch, weld on a base to the mounting plate, build a fan shroud, figure out what filtering system I’m going to use, and test run it. More to follow.

very nice! looks like a great setup! you may want to put an anti vibration washer on the feet of the compressor though. Those things run at super high rpm IIRC and vibrate like mad
Great ideal! I will order some. Thanks for the comment tbone! Your opinion matters more than you know.

I think he posted elsewhere he will get around 0.5 CFM

Hi BigRed. Nice job.
What is the model of your Cornelius, and its own built-in motor power requierements ? What is your plan for the belt tension adjuster ?

Hi BigRed. Nice job.
What is the model of your Cornelius, and its own built-in motor power requierements ? What is your plan for the belt tension adjuster ?
Model is a 32-R-300. It’s a bit different than the one used in the Popular Mechanics magazine so it required a few different modifications. Built in motor was a 24 volt dc motor. I removed the brushes as mentioned in the conversion instructions and it’s now driven with a 3450 rpm 120/240 volt 1/2 horsepower motor. To tension the belt I plan on using spacers between the motor mount plate and the base/mounting plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom