my cayman pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matva

Registered
Reaction score
hey guys
i took these pics back in july when i went to the cayman islands. these are taken with my s70 p&s canon (no strobe). i'm really bad with fish names... can anyone name these creatures for me? also, why do you guys suppose some of these guys have marks/scars on them. clumsy? comments / suggestions welcome!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

tarpon.jpg

cudda.jpg

mutton snapper, nassau grouper, slipper lobster, tarpon and barracuda.
Nice shots.

:) What a great variety of fish and the slipper cray is cool!

Fish often have marks on them from territory disputes, run ins with fishers, mating rituals, and general lifestlye (like rubbing on reef to clean themselves etc) - it varies from fish to fish what causes it but those are the biggies I can think of off the top of my head.

1 more question... why does the tarpon's eye appear red? Is this from blood vessels?

btw here a few more:
5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

if someone can name these as well, that would be great. I'm particularly interested in that tentacle thing in front of the first one. is the lobster a spanish lobster?

Nice Pics!

The Lobster is a "Spotted Spiny Lobster" (wow descriptive name LOL!), The top one looks like a Rock Hind, and the middle one looks like a Nassau Grouper.

The eyes glow on silvery fish if your strobe is set to direct. Kind of like "Red Eye" on people. You can avoid it by having your strobes set off to the side and not direct. If you shot the picture with the stobe on the camera or too direct, then it will do this.

In this picture, the strobes were set off to the side and so you don't get the glowing eyes.
picture-51.jpg

Hope that helps! Nice shots again!

Back
Top Bottom