My Biggest Fear (GW Shark encounter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Actually my biggest fear is doing a kick out on a shore dive on top of the water and never seeing what hits me. The music doesn't really help, either: Original LINK

Wow! That would be so awesome to see, yet so scary at the same time. I dive off the East Coast of Florida. I'm guessing the shark was just curious? It could have easily taken a test bite when it first came up behind him. You guys should read the comments on the vid. He says the teeth hit his tank on that first bump. Then he didn't see it again until 8 minutes later. I guess I'd rather see it while it was at the bottom or mid water column. I wouldn't want to be at the surface. Curious if people here think the GW was acting aggressively? Or just checking the diver out. Did the diver act accordingly? Or defending himself/provoking the shark could of made the situation worse. I want to know for future reference.

I don't understand why someone would hang around a location after seeing a GW approaching, esp. after it approaches multiple times. Maybe the diver was just under their entry point?

I am not advocating for heading to the surface, but I think I would try to swim back to my entry point and get out while the getting is good -- all the while keeping that weapon (whatever it was) ready (if I had one, which I don't).

- Bill

Actually my biggest fear is doing a kick out on a shore dive on top of the water and never seeing what hits me. The music doesn't really help, either: Original LINK

Looks like you made a friend! It looked very interested in you! Seems like it didn't know what to make of you, but every time you poked the gun at it, it backed off. It knew something was up, didn't know what just that you could "reach out" further than it a thought you could.

BroadSkyDiver, yes act aggressive towards the shark if it keeps coming back. Their normal prey swims away, standing your "ground" and poking at it will let it know that you are not what it's looking for. Stan Waterman was the 1st to record GWs outside a cage. He kept 5 large GWs at a safe distance by poking them with a stick with a nail at the end.

Thats Scary, but i woulda been more Skared if i had nothing to poke it away with me. Theyed a bin a scared cuss word in ever one of my air bubbles poppin on the surface.

Isn't this why we dive? That is we dive to encounter the unexpected, beautiful, exotic, the things that make us catch our breath? Having said that would I go diving knowing I was going to encounter that? No way! One night we were getting ready to go catch some bugs when I saw something large on the surface moving in the same direction as the current in the channel, it looked like it could have been the hump from a Portuguese Man O' War. I didn't know then and don't know to this day what it was BECAUSE I DIDN'T GO IN THE WATER after seeing that! Coward or good sense?

Ok I'm ordering a spear gun.

That was waaaaay too close for comfort for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes we dive to see new and exciting things but that's a little to close. would I like to see a GW sure but not like that.

Back
Top Bottom