My Big Guy - dive 18 June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dived again on one of our new spots yesterday. Tough conditions: huge surge & swell - my computer kept beeping about my ascent rate even when I didn't move! Not great conditions for photography with my meager skills and internal strobe. Maybe these conditions are better with external strobes? Less backscatter?

Anyway, here is our resident (he seems to move within about a 1/2 km area that we know of so far) Potato Cod. I gave up shooting with the internal strobe as I could tell even on the screen that I was getting just too much rubbish in the backgrounds.

Natural light (LOL); 25m depth; greenish water & floaties (looked like little snot balls - it was charming) on most of the site; slightly grey blue water when looking east & up; f2.8; 1/80; ISO 64; attempted panning as fish circled. RAW; changed WB to Daylight in PS; resized. I had a play with changing settings and I can definitely improve this image, but there is just something about showing it pretty much straight out of the camera.

I think he turned out pretty well. Probably won't get hung on the wall, but I think it's good enough to show divers what the front of a Potato Cod with a cutie suckerfish looks like.

All comments and helpful hints appreciated.

Nice contrast of the still fish and moving background.

Yes, quite nice panning there, Alcina. Do you know the scientific name of the cod (Us Damn Yankees callz dem groupers, at least that's what it looks like to me)? How big was the cod and how close did you get to it?

He is in the family of gropers...scientific name Epinephelus tukula About 4.5 feet long.

How close? Well, he really likes it when I rub his teeth & tongue and positively shivers with delight when I scratch the base of his dorsal fin! When I scratch there, he stops all movement and leans into me, just like my Rhodesian Ridgies! It's too sweet.

'Course, he also head butted DH on the same dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom