My 16 year old son is now diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone. I have been diving recreationally since my air force days, just basic certification.
My 16 year old, William, has discovered scuba two years ago and now has his AOW and rescue diver cert as well as nitrox.
Is there anything else he can do until 18? He is just getting a bunch of dives under his belt.
Thanks,
Great forum
RT

While you did say he is getting a bunch of dives under his belt, I suggest focusing on doing just that; improving the skills he has been taught rather than participating in additional courses at this point. However, if you are looking at other courses, it is just specialties and the Master Scuba Diver rating from there. With 5 specialities, 50 dives and the above courses, he can become a Master Scuba Diver. For the specialities, it is all about the type of diving you currently do, and are interested in for the future. I would recommend the Deep Diver specialty, but since you are OW, you would not be able to take the course with him or dive to his depth. Take a look at the PADI website, the only specialities he wouldn't be able to do is Cavern Diver, Ice Diver and Public Safety Diver. Congrats on finding a hobby you can share with your son.

Hope that helps,
RH

Dear RH,
I have carefully considered what you have said so in our August Maui trip I will spend a couple of days getting AOW certified.
Thanks for your input. This truly is a great forum.
RT

Having an AOW card in your pocket will get you on many more boats and dive sites that just having an OW card.
A lot of folks say that the AOW is a money racket - but really it's what you make of it.
I agree with the recommendation to get it.

Hi everyone. I have been diving recreationally since my air force days, just basic certification.
My 16 year old, William, has discovered scuba two years ago and now has his AOW and rescue diver cert as well as nitrox.
Is there anything else he can do until 18? He is just getting a bunch of dives under his belt.
Thanks,
Great forum
RT

Why not try freediving? A very different sport, but it will help him with his scuba diving.. if that is one goal?

Thanks,
Great forum
RT

Nothing wrong with getting dives under your belt as it gives you and opportunity to practice what you have learned in the pursuit of AOW. Habits and techniques developed now are lifelong. Also, learning can be done outside of structured certifications. To use an analogy, driver's ed teaches basic skills and how to pass the drivers test, what one does on the road afterward determines the kind of driver one becomes.

One does not need a fish identification course to learn how to identify fish. A review of a few basic lessons and a good guidebook will tell you a lot and will let you make connections between relationships of fish, behavior, habitat. I learned more about diving from diving with other people and after dive discussions than I ever did from formal certs, although both have their place.

I guess the best thing you could do is encourage him to dive and become a better waterman. Sounds like he has a pretty good start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom