MXTENDER and strobe arm adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought an MX-10 camera and YS-40A storbe. Easy to use but to date I've noticed backscatter problems with the photos. Some folks have made mention in other threads of using the MXTENDER optical strobe cable system as a way to help reduce/elminate the problem.

Was thinking of buying the strobe cable system and the strobe arm adopter but before taking the plunge was wondering if anybody had a feedback on using the system.

Thanks

JT

The MXTENDER was invented after I replaced my MX-10 or I'd still be using it! I have a friend who has the system and he loves it. Getting the strobe away from the camera and able to position it at an angle has removed almost all of the backscatter. He has a very flexible system that suits him and will last him for years.

I thought of purchasing the mxtender some time back, but when I looked at the cost ;-0 I cried, ridiculously over priced.
I still have my MX-10 and I believe the mxtender would solve my backscatter problems, but I guess I am not prepard to pay that much.
It was over 18 months ago that I enquired into it so unsure if the price is still the same.

fergy

I have the set up and am quite happy with it.

It works well with most of the lens -- the exception being the macro lens. Where all the other lens are a simple bayonet mount, the macro has the extra length for the framing. Now mind you I might be doing something wrong -- I've only been using the MXTENDER for one season, and am still getting use to it. But when I've used it with the basic camera or the wide angle, I've been a happy camper with the results.

DivingGal once bubbled...
I have the set up and am quite happy with it.

It works well with most of the lens -- the exception being the macro lens. Where all the other lens are a simple bayonet mount, the macro has the extra length for the framing. Now mind you I might be doing something wrong -- I've only been using the MXTENDER for one season, and am still getting use to it. But when I've used it with the basic camera or the wide angle, I've been a happy camper with the results.

What problem did you have using it with the macro lens? The macro lens itself has a bayonet mount with the wire framer extended in front.

Maybe I'm confused?:confused:

Dee

The problem is not really mounting the lens, rather when I attempt to mount the lens with the fiber optic connection attached to the camera.

The way I've been mounting the MXTENDER optical strobe cable system causes an interferance when actually mounting the macro lens -- it gets in the way of 'clicking' the lens in place. Of course you can mount the lens upside down -- but then you get the framing mechanism in your shot.

I might be doing something wrong -- I haven't been using the cable with the macro lens often, so it could be user error.

I haven't actually used one so I may not be 'seeing' it right but the macro arms thingy gets tangled in the fiber optic cable?

Have you emailed Greg at gbundersea.com? I'm sure he'll understand what you're saying and have a fix for you.

I'm sure he'll be along shortly and explain things...

DivingGal,

For some reason, Sea&Sea chose to attach the MX-10's framer to the lens with a set screw, making it unmovable. The MXTENDER kit includes parts and instructions which allow you to easily replace the Sea&Sea setscrew with a supplied black anodized thumbscrew. Pages 9 and 10 of the MXTENDER manual cover this simple procedure. The following is an excerpt from page 9:

Replacing the set screw with the macro lens thumbscrew allows you to loosen the framer slightly, thus being able to rotate it out of the way of the MXTENDER bracket during lens changes. Another great benefit is that it enables you to remove the framer from the lens. Large framers such as this are easily broken. Removing it can help keep it safe while the camera is hanging on a line or sitting in the rinse bucket. Also, creatures too shy for the presence of a framer can sometimes be photographed by carefully measuring distance and shooting with the framer removed. You will find it very convenient to have a movable/removable framer. In fact, the 1:3 macro framer for the Sea&Sea Motormarine comes standard with an almost identical thumbscrew for the same reasons.

Send me a PM or an email if you have any questions or problems, or if maybe the parts were lost from your kit.

Thanks!

gbundersea once bubbled...
... Replacing the set screw with the macro lens thumbscrew allows you to loosen the framer slightly, thus being able to rotate it out of the way of the MXTENDER bracket during lens changes. ...

I told you it was user error! I've been so satisfied with everything I have of yours, I knew you would not have over looked this slight problem.

I've just started playing with the macro lens and the MXTENDER -- so it's not been an issue. I'll go back and read the instructions, and check for the proper installation.

Thanks for the help Greg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom