MV Phoenix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is this the boat that sunk?

If so, I’m wondering how it happened to have 105 people on board when the capacity is listed as 24 guests?

I certainly hope I’m wrong here as this was a horrible tragedy.

5166DF11-1BA0-498B-B7A8-102EBBEF7B20.jpeg
I

Is this the boat that sunk?

If so, I’m wondering how it happened to have 105 people on board when the capacity is listed as 24 guests?

I certainly hope I’m wrong here as this was a horrible tragedy.

View attachment 468074 I

I saw some info on the news on the boat spec...

Source:
ข้อมูลกรมเจ้าท่า เผยอนุญาต “เรือฟินิกซ์” ออกทะเล เหตุอุตุฯไม่ได้แจ้งคลื่นสูง 5 ม.

It said that the capacity is 120 people.
Width 6.5M.
Length 29M.

I don’t know how credible this PPTV news source is. I don’t know much about boat but 120 people seems too big a number to me.

Thank you. That’s interesting. I guess that 120 seats is if it’s a day trip boat. As you say, pretty crowded for a boat that size; especially since it’s not set up with regular passenger seating.

No, it is a different one, the one you gave Mike is a liveaboard boat, used to operate out of Phuket, since 5 years or so operating out of Burma.

The one that went down really was a big boat, with lots of seating inside. I thought 100 pax allowed, but could also be 80 or 120 (excluding crew). Mainly a snorkeling boats where they try to upsell diving, hence not many tanks for a boat that size.
Here a picture,
DhZ4TE9XcAAtTwo.jpg

Last edited:
Even that boat in the photo doesn’t look big enough for 105.

Then again, that’s why I hate day trips. Sardine time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom