MV Fathima in the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went last Jan and would not recommend it at all. One DM to the whole boat - he obviously can't watch the whole group and at times (particularly during very strong currents as you are likely to get at some sites) we felt very unsafe indeed. On one dive (calm, no current) we lost one diver - turns out he just got seperated and made his own way back to the boat. When his buddy asked the DM for help and notified him that he was missing his buddy, the DM simply shrugged and later said "well, I can't watch everyone".

We were taken on dives where the current was just ripping - people didn't see much and just struggled - really struggled to keep with the group. People who weren't wearing gloves got lots of little cuts on their hands as they swept by rocks etc.

Food was edible but by no means good. Not much variety.

When we were there the air-conditioning broke down. Rooms are very warm when there is no air-con.

On the pro side, the rooms were quite spacious.

Obviously this is just my own opinion. There was also a large German group on the boat who were there on the 2nd week of their dive holiday and they seemed quite happy with their experince. As for us - by the 3rd day we were so sick of terrible currents, not seeing anything as we raced by, feeling very unsafe that we moved to a resort. Diving got much better - we felt much safer and had an incredible experience with 3 mantas.

I guess I should also add that this is our second trip to the Maldives and we've had a fantastic time diving the Maldives when not on this boat. Also we have over 200 dives so are quite comfortable diving and do not need a DM babysitter as such - but the diving on the MV Fathima was the most unsafe I have ever felt.

To escapedia: I have seen numbers of your complaints about MV Fathima, I also knew that you have been asking other member to spread your anger out. However, MV Fathima wasn't owned by Norbert Schmidt, he was an operator of the boat. The boat owner is another person and operator does changed from one and other. According to my knowledge, MV Fathima was operator by NS back in 2007 during your trip until April 2009. At this time the boat is operated by a new European who based in Barcelona, and this operator has a very reputed name in the market. I only found it unfair to this new operator as what you were complaining about your trip with the boat does not exist anymore, there is hot water at each cabin and it is newly renovated, besides, there is an additional cabin built which made a vessel with 9 cabins, diving, service and food was excellent the last time I was on the boat, with the operation of new operator. My only opinion is that your behavior doesn't bring you anywhere and it would affect other innocent people. Sometimes, you never know if you would need help from these innocent people one day.....it is better to let go a bit, do it in a gentleman way and not to involve others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom