Mutsu Dive Jan 13th and 14th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, looks like our "tidal window" for January is the weekend of the 13th and 14th so yesterday the guys and I decided to start putting together the dives. From the period between 0930 and 1530 on the 13th there will be a less then 1 meter incoming tide with translates into no current at all!

We'll be doing 2 deco dives each day and chartering a boat out of Katazoei, Oshima Island. Cost for the boat is Y4000 per person per day. Y8000 for 4 dives for the weekend.

As far as lodging goes, we found a resort on the island that has bungalos on the beach with spas for about Y6000 per night (I love the off season!) and the guy that runs it is super cool.

The water is going to be cold. Plan for 50 degrees F but we may luck out and get 58F since the water is still 63F and it's almost December!

This isn't any kind of trip through any real shop, just something the guys and I do every month and I thought it would be fun to invite some of you guys.

Anyway, if you don't mind diving and barbequeing in the winter, come out and dive with us! It would be great to hang with some of you from Scubaboard!

For more info, send me a PM or just respond to this thread.
Scott

Hi,

We will come back from Yucatan on the 8th and we have courses following weekend so this weekend will not be ok for us. Do you know when the following windows are? :eyebrow:

Thomas

TJO:
Hi,

We will come back from Yucatan on the 8th and we have courses following weekend so this weekend will not be ok for us. Do you know when the following windows are? :eyebrow:

Thomas

Pretty much any day when there is an incoming tide of less than 1 meter. Any more tidal movement than that and the currents become strong very quickly.

They coincide with the quarter moon and happen twice month but sometimes we get lucky and get a couple days when both incoming AND outgoing are minimal during the day.

We try and dive only on incoming tides for a couple different reasons. First, the vis is better and second, the incoming tide creates a current that runs from starboard to port on the wreck. Since she's resting port-side up, we don't have to worry about what little current there is trying to push us under the wreck when on the bottom.

Here's a couple dates with optimal tides and times for winter. I'm leaving out times at night since diving Mutsu at night would be a very bad idea.

Day From To
1/13 0930 1530 incoming tide
1/14 0600 1800 out and in
1/28 0600 1700 in and out
2/11 0800 1500 incoming tide
2/12 0500 1600 out and in
2/13 0700 1700 out and in
2/25 0900 1500 incoming tide
2/26 1230 1700 incoming tide
3/12 0800 1400 incoming tide
3/13 0500 1400 out and in
3/14 1200 1700 incoming tide
3/26 0900 1500 incoming tide
3/27 0500 1700 out and in
4/10 0800 1400 incoming tide
4/11 0900 1500 incoming tide
4/12 1130 1630 incoming tide
4/24 0900 1500 incoming tide
4/25 1100 1600 incoming tide

Cheers!

Hi Scott
Sounds like an adventure. At the moment, my schedule looks open for that weekend. I'll be in touch with you to make the arrangements as time gets closer.

BTW...did Tim tell you we had dinner and were talking about you guys down there...

Awesome, keep me posted if you can make it down here.

Tim is a real character. I'm going to have to give him a call today since I haven't talked to him in a while. I have a full feature-length movie on DVD that I made of all our footage and pictures from diving Mutsu this year that I have to send him.

Scott

Tim seems very excited about the access and knowledge of the wreck you guys have, and are building.

I'm sure it will be an exciting project for some time to come.

We decided on Feb 11 visiting the Yamato museum on the 10th.

http://www.jue.jp/en/node/747

Like last time we drive down trimix doubles and deco tanks in one car. We use LM Marine in Hiroshima this time as well. Joining Scott?

Thanks for the suggestion of dates Scott. We had a superb Sunday and did two dives in good visibility with no currents at all. I posted a short report on our website and may post a short video as well later on this week.

http://www.jue.jp/en/node/866

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom