Must-have equipment for rookie diver in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvelle

Registered
Reaction score
OK,

Have mercy, I know this thread likely belongs in "new divers" but since it's equipment related, I have gathered the courage to ask it here. I'm a new diver with only 10 dives under my belt but lucked out and am heading to Raja Ampat for work soon.

- What must-have equipment of my own should I have when diving in Raja Ampat islands? I've heard they only have tanks and air (and bad masks/snorkels) upon the liveaboards. I want to maximize my safety and am planning on taking the following (financial reasons prohibit my ability to buy more of my own equipment prior to this trip):

- Mask/fins/snorkel
- shorty wetsuit
- sausage (2m)
- possibility of buying/renting a friend's Suunto Stinger dive computer

As for BCD and regulator, I'm screwed and am just hoping the liveaboard's stuff is up to snuff. Should I skip the Suunto and get my own regulator or BCD instead? Anything else I MUST HAVE or am I OK with the above equipment provided I take it safe and don't dive out of my league (literally)?

Many thanks.

It is hard to say because it also depends on the quality of the boat and your DM.
This is what I bought in order, I bought the more "personal" stuff first, but there is really no fix rule.

- Mask/fins/snorkel/wetsuit
- regulator & BCD
- computer

However, if you are most concerned about safety, then maybe you should get the regulator & BCD first.
To this day, I still do not own a sausage, I just follow the DM.

Computer since you are going to be on a LOB. Most LOBs won't allow you to do more than 2 dives a day if you don't have a computer and up to 5 a day conditions permitting if you have a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom