Musandam, North Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For many years those of us who live in the UAE have enjoyed some fabulous diving in Musandam in the northern part of Oman. This area is stunning with its fjords and frequent fast currents when tides are changing as it lays to the entrance of the Straits of Hormuz, which leads into the Persian Gulf.

Due to Covid-19 the border at Dibba, UAE where we normally boarded the dhows for our long weekend trips closed, and remains so for the time being despite a recent announcement that from 1st September that it would open.

The port at Dibba-Oman is currently under re-development and the company that we frequently used (Al Marsa) has now moved its operations for the diving to Khor Najd.

The logistics of making these Musandam trips has now changed as follows;

How does it work

• Travelers need to be vaccinated with a UAE / GCC Approved Vaccine

• Have a PCR Test not older than 48 hours prior to crossing the border

• Drive to Al Dhara, Ras al Khaimah border crossing

• Exit using normal procedures and present your:
    • Passport

• UAE Visa

• Vaccination Certificate

• UAE PCR test (48hours)

• UAE Health Insurance

• Omani Car Insurance
From there you drive to Khasab Aster Clinic (46KM)

There you take a PCR Test at Aster Clinic, the location is in Khasab and will be send to you. This PCR test ensure you can enter the UAE again once returning from the trip. This PCR test is PAID for by Al Marsa

Khor Najd (22KM)

After this you drive Khor Najd, where your transport awaits. This takes 20 minutes to the Dhow.

Parking Spaces

In Khor Najd, there are ample parking spaces and a brand-new jetty for easy on and off-loading for people and equipment.

Dive Sites

The Dive Sites will be same as you know and love.

Upon return

At the UAE Border (RAK) your PCR Tests will be handed over to you. With this you can cross the border. Our staff will be there to assist you.

Weekend Dhow Trip details:

• Trip Departure time Khor Najd between 18:00 - 22:00 (we will have different transfers) on Thursday

• Trip Arrival time Khor Najd between 14:00 on Saturday

Individual rate for 2 nights sharing:
  • Diver rate:
    OMR 182.70
  • Non-Diver rate:
    OMR 154.35
*Minimum 8 guests required for a confirmed trip*

Included in the rate:
  • A/C cabins with bathrooms, sharing with one other guest

• All meals - starting with dinner on Thursday, ending with lunch on Saturday

• Snacks, water, coffee, tea and soft drinks throughout the day

• Snorkeling, usage of kayaks, fishing lines and baits

• Diving supplement & diving tax for divers

• On-board SSI & PADI Instructor/ Dive Master as a dive guide

• Dive tanks and weights

• UNLIMITED diving from the dhow

• 6 guided dives with dive boat

• FREE Nitrox for Nitrox certified divers! (Subject to availability)
Excluded from the rates:
  • Full equipment rental at OMR 11.05 / day

• Torch and dive computer rental

• Extra guided and/or dive boat dive at OMR 8.95 per person per dive
Visit Al Marsa website here: Our Fleet | Al Marsa Travel & Tourism

That's an interesting strategy.

Certainly an ache of a drive to get there

Its also a bit of a miss mash regarding dive sites. The closest is Ras Sarkin headliand, that bay is poor. Lima is a fair trek south with Lima bay, Octopus and wonderwall etc

Mouse requires decent weather for the crossing, and the wind to be favourable to shelter the dhow and have sunlight on the site.

Marsa rarely go further North especially on sharing dhows because the conditions are far outside the capabilities of the divers onboard

Ras Khaysah and its bay can be sheltered the point and the fabulous underwater ridge, white rock, Ras Mus, the Jaws & Katchalo are no go's

Quions a possibility on Fanaku IF calm and little current ( we had to abandon that crossing once when the current span the dhow twice), buts thats no place for inexperienced divers if they get near the point or are foolish enough to go onto Salamah ridge

We've not restarted yet because of other stuff, but given the number of leavers we might be site restricted until we get people up to speed and experience

It certainly means taking a Thursday afternoon off work to manage the trip to the dhow. Personally I'd be leaving early on a Thursday to get up to Khasab for a late lunch then getting my Covid test for the return prior to driving to Khor Najd.

If bad weather happens and the dhow fails to make it back to Khor Najd in time, I think I'd be staying over until Sunday and hopefully within the PCR test timeline for entry back to UAE.

I won't be rushing to be on the first trip as much as I miss Musandam, not that I'm worried about time off, but on the other hand a Dhow with only eight divers sounds appealing :D

I'll need to check about carrying stages across the border as I had issues before (as well as with camera equipment) at Al Dhara border crossing.

It certainly means taking a Thursday afternoon off work to manage the trip to the dhow. Personally I'd be leaving early on a Thursday to get up to Khasab for a late lunch then getting my Covid test for the return prior to driving to Khor Najd.

If bad weather happens and the dhow fails to make it back to Khor Najd in time, I think I'd be staying over until Sunday and hopefully within the PCR test timeline for entry back to UAE.

I won't be rushing to be on the first trip as much as I miss Musandam, not that I'm worried about time off, but on the other hand a Dhow with only eight divers sounds appealing :D

I'll need to check about carrying stages across the border as I had issues before (as well as with camera equipment) at Al Dhara border crossing.

Oh yes, do let me know how that goes. We normally haul all our own cylinders since AL80's are a smart choice when it gets sketchy - although you'd not want to be in thase flows with your camera:D

although you'd not want to be in thase flows with your camera

I'd be shooting video / stills with the TG6, leave the Nikons at home.

So no more Musandam trips for non-residents..
Used to be possible, as far as I know.

So no more Musandam trips for non-residents..
Used to be possible, as far as I know.

Well you will need a visa for Oman as the Musandam trips are now currently going through the RAK border up to Khasab.

Additional expense of PCR test from UAE plus Oman visa, the cost of diving with Al Marsa includes the PCR test for the return to UAE. A bit more driving involved on the Oman side, so additional fuel costs.

Thanks for the nice write-up explaining it all. Always wondered about this since Rain Pilot told me about diving there. Keen to give this a go when I am there next.

Thanks for the nice write-up explaining it all. Always wondered about this since Rain Pilot told me about diving there. Keen to give this a go when I am there next.
It's all changed again, for the simpler, thankfully. The Dibba checkpoint is open again (as of writing) so the logistics are pretty close to what they used to be, with the addition of a required PCR test.

It's all changed again, for the simpler, thankfully. The Dibba checkpoint is open again (as of writing) so the logistics are pretty close to what they used to be, with the addition of a required PCR test.
Oh great, that makes it even easier then :) It was looking like a mission there, but still worth it surely. Now I just have to wait until I get out there again. Soon I hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom