Multiple window mask for increased field of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm currently fairly happy with a simple, low volume, two lens mask from IST. My only complaint is that I don't have a large amount of peripheral vision, which makes keeping track of the dive buddy something of a challenge in the some times murky waters of Monterey.

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on masks that have side panels for increased peripheral vision? I've had no problems clearing my mask, and don't anticipate having any problems with a larger volume mask. Do folks think is worthwhile, or doesn't add very much?

Thanks,
-Todd.

I tried one the other day and I didn't like it. The images in the sides were some what distorted and I found it distracting. However masks are personnal preferrence and I have several dive buddies that love their mask with side windows. See if you can try one to see if you like it or not.

Good luck.

Chad

I just got a panaview this year and so far i'm pleased. There is a line where the lenses meet but I my side view is clear. It is a little easier to just move my eyes instead of my head. Try one is all I can say, my brother tried my mask and did'nt like it.

They dont really work as the side window vision is usually blurry

Go for a two window very low prfile mask. The closer the glass is to your eyes the better your field of vision !!

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

Originally posted by ToddK

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on masks that have side panels for increased peripheral vision? I've had no problems clearing my mask, and don't anticipate having any problems with a larger volume mask. Do folks think is worthwhile, or doesn't add very much?

I own a Mares ESA mask, principally because it was the only one I found with a good fit. This is a 6 pane mask with 2 on the side and two angled down. I like the lower 2 because it is easier to read the SPG/computer. The side 2 don't really add to the field of vision because as everyone noted the image is blurry and there is the pillar between the two panes. They do however let a lot of light in and it makes for an open and airy feeling.

The ESA apparently has a reputation for busting glass panes but I have had no trouble with mine.

My wife/buddy tended to stay above and behind me where she was usually hard to find. The side windows in the ESA definately helped. And the bottom windows sometimes let me view my guages - Depending on how it was sitting on my face at the moment.

But there sure are a lot of failure points. While I've had mine for 4 years without problem. I've seen a couple of folks who had to use both hands to hold their ESA (frame and lenses seperated). In fact, I believe that is the only mask I have seen fail and I've seen it at least twice. I alway carry a spare mask in my save-a-dive kit.

Wife/buddy now also does much better about staying out of my blind spot. That's probably the better solution in the long run.

Originally posted by ToddK
My only complaint is that I don't have a large amount of peripheral vision, which makes keeping track of the dive buddy something of a challenge in the some times murky waters of Monterey.

The mask isn't the problem - it's buddy communication. I carry dive lights on all Monterey dives - borrow a trick from cave and DIR divers, and use the lights to track each other. It's a LOT easier to keep an eye on your buddy's light moving along the bottom, rather than trying to spin your body around to find them, and a big slow circle with the light is the same as an "ok" signal - and you can keep track of your buddy using this signal without having to break formation to make eye contact. Rapidly moving your light back and forth on the bottom is how you get each others attention when you need to make eye contact.

Ben

As I mentioned in another thread concerning Cressi Masks, I recently switched from a clear skirted Mares ESA to a black skirted Cressi Horizon.

My experience spearfishing under ledges and wreck structures led me to the black skirt. I noticed that as my mask entered the shadow created by a ledge, my ability to see the fish under the ledge improved dramatically.

Light entering the mask from the clear skirt (and in the case of the ESA, the extra windows) is "extraneous" and causes the pupils to contract which makes it harder to see what it is you are really looking at.

Although there is something to be said for the peripheral vision of the Mares ESA (being able to see a buddy out of the corner of your eye without turning your head very far), the black-skirted Cressi Horizon has superior usable downward field-of-view, lower volume, and IMO, allows for better overall vision.
As awap mentioned, it is not unusual for the ESA's thin frames to crack, and I have had to make repairs. The ESA is now my spare.

I don't like side windows....they are too distracting, everything off to the side is blurred by them and they may let light in which reflects off the front glass, messing up your forward vision. I go with black skirt and no side windows, but those may be alright for you...depends on the individual. I just bought a Cressi-sub Big Eyes mask and used it for the 1st time this past weekend. It's awesome!! Very big field of view!!!! I highly recommend it..

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom