Multiple issues with CDX5 First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

While on vacation a year ago, my wife developed some issues with rental gear (cracking pressure was too high), and since we dive enough, we decided to buy her a new regulator set.

A local store had the CDX5 and Alpha9's available, and they had favorable reviews so we decided on those, and continued to dive them for the remainder of the trip.

The next trip, 7 months later, we continued diving, and after two days of diving, she experienced fluttering on the second dive of the day. We called the dive, and returned to the shop where we purchased the regs. They looked at them, and said that the IP was high, and they adjusted and tested, saying the problems was fixed.

The next dive, we had the same issue again, fluttering, so we returned back to the shop. The shop wasn't able to look at the first stage, and contacted the local distributor, who took them and opened it up.

He found the same thing, high IP, and the cause was a bent pin inside of the first stage. He completed a full service, with all new parts and we packed up and left for home a few hours later.

4 months later, we returned for another trip, and on the fourth dive as we were gearing up she reported leaking from the second stage. We dove, and it continued, so we brought it directly to the distributor, who reported that it had high IP again, 4 dives after being rebuilt.

At this point, he offered to take it back, and pay for the difference to upgrade to something else. Since I had bought a FDXi/Zeo already for myself, I opted to upgrade her to the same package, so that we could carry a first stage service kit in the event we had issues somewhere where there was a tech, but no service kits.

I can't see any indications of this occurring elsewhere, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why the pin would bend, or continue to have issues with a first stage.

What are the odds of having IP creep up after only 4 dives with a newly serviced first stage?
Has anyone ever seen a bent transfer pin?
Would a transfer pin fail again so shortly? I didn't have him open it up, so I'm not sure what caused the second high IP issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom