Multiple Deep Dives on same day or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Typically speaking if you charter for a deco dive is that the only dive you are doing that day (As opposed to your typical 2 or 3 tank dive)? This is mostly a curiosity question because I can’t make these dives yet.

it depends on the charter that you go out on. With some boats you are simply renting the boat for the day and the time is yours to do whatever you want, with others you are bound to what they state the schedule to be. All unfortunately depends on who you go out with

Largely depends on the boat/operator or your preference if you chartered the entire boat. My usual preference is to only do one long dive if I'm planning a dive with a lot of decompression.

Strictly speaking for Boston area (New England), most charter boats tend to schedule technical charters as one long deco dive. Recreational charters will do two-three a day.

From my experience in St Lawrence river and Presque Isle, MI and some other places we were doing two dives a day in the 170-200ft range. Usually with an hour and half to 2 hour+ surface interval.

So do you take an extra set of double with you and swap that out on the boat for dive 2, etc.?

Where I dive in South Florida, when a boat has a tech dive scheduled, it runs on roughly the same schedule it would have for a 2-tank dive, but it only does the one tech dive. Sometimes there will be two tech dives scheduled in one day, in which case the boat will return to dock after the first one. You can eat lunch while the tanks are being refilled.

I did some tech dives in Cozumel in which we did two per day. In that case, it was a long boat ride on a not-so-fast boat. We brought along enough tanks for both dives, and we had lunch on the boat in between.

So do you take an extra set of double with you and swap that out on the boat for dive 2, etc.?

Pretty much. A lot of people take multiple sets of doubles or they may cut their first dive short in order to do a second dive. That is what I used to do. Now on a rebreather I don't have to worry about if I have the right mix :)

Here in Southern California, when chartering the boat, we'd typically do two dives in the 140-160' range, sometimes with a third dive shallower. It was either bring two sets of doubles, or dive a stage for the first dive (third option was to squeeze two such dives out of double 130s). Aim was for two-hour surface interval.

Last edited:
You need to define what you mean by "deep" and talk about the dive profile.

If it's a 250' dive, yeah one and done. If it's a 120' dive, probably a deep dive and a shallower one after.

We often do 2 per day. Even deep. Makes for a long day with 4hr surface intervals....but when you run 40-60 miles sometimes, people want as much time in the water as they can get. Some of my guys prefer one real long dive. To each his/her own. Unless the weather is kicking up and I decide to cut it short and head in, we have several " 2 deep dive" guys.

Most bring 2 sets of double.
Some use the compressor and top off between dives
Many have rebreathers which makes it much easier!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom