Multideco... tips and tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all...

As my (CCR) dives are getting to be more than 2hrs (with or without deco), and up to 60m deep, I finally bit the bullet and purchased MultiDeco..

A bit of background, I’ve been using other deco software for many years, it wasn’t built for CCR in mind, but knowing that and the pO2 it is assuming it gets pretty darn close to matching up to real world CCR dives.

Ross’s instructions are pretty basic, and there seems to be quite a bit of neat features built in... but no documentation.

Is there a resource that goes through more than the 12 pages of manual of how to enter in a dive?

Have any workflows or tips and tricks to share?

_R

Yeah. Download Subsurface.
I have both and the calcs of Multi Deco are not easy to figure out. You just get results.

I still use it, but as a reality check to Subsurface.
The graphical output that accompanies a dive run time table makes things a lot easier to understand.
Then, if MD is close to the Subsurface output, I'm happy with my plan.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, I know.

The biggest tip is, enter all the gases you can imagine. Enter all the dive plans you can imagine. Then use the check box to enable them, click the red X (which won't yet delete them) and click Edit (instead of Delete) to match up with your actual plans.

That's MD's biggest advantage over Subsurface. In Subsurface you can only delete a gas or a segment when you want to compare variations. Then, you have to go back and reenter them if you want to return to your original plan. Unless there's a Subsurface trick I'm unaware of...

Also watch out for how bailout gas is calculated - the bailout breathing rate only applies up until the first stop (which might be okay depending on the reason for the bailout etc. etc.)

I’ve found the mobile app to be easier to work with vs the desktop version, but it has less functionality.

Yeah. Download Subsurface.
I have both and the calcs of Multi Deco are not easy to figure out. You just get results.

I still use it, but as a reality check to Subsurface.
The graphical output that accompanies a dive run time table makes things a lot easier to understand.
Then, if MD is close to the Subsurface output, I'm happy with my plan.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, I know.

I haven't used the subsurface planning side .... when it was first introduced, I was noticing a bunch of weird results, and haven't looked at it since....

The biggest tip is, enter all the gases you can imagine. Enter all the dive plans you can imagine. Then use the check box to enable them, click the red X (which won't yet delete them) and click Edit (instead of Delete) to match up with your actual plans.

That's MD's biggest advantage over Subsurface. In Subsurface you can only delete a gas or a segment when you want to compare variations. Then, you have to go back and reenter them if you want to return to your original plan. Unless there's a Subsurface trick I'm unaware of...

Red X? I'm guessing not the desktop/Mac version as that exits the program...

_R

Also watch out for how bailout gas is calculated - the bailout breathing rate only applies up until the first stop (which might be okay depending on the reason for the bailout etc. etc.)

Good to know!

_R

Red X? I'm guessing not the desktop/Mac version as that exits the program...

_R

I’m not an RB pilot but below is a screenshot of MD’s feature (on the right side of the shot) allowing one to toggle gases on and off. The odd deco gases reflect sloppy or alternate fills (i.e, couldn’t get a boosted 100% and had to settle for the infamous 80%) from shops in Saudi Arabia. Anyways, when you click on the white x on the red circle background, it toggles that gas on and incorporates it into the deco schedule. I also use the Baltic DPS. I’ve found MD a little more user friendly but came to recognize after having bought it that the programmer is a polemicist, a fancy word for “keyboard warrior”. His posts here on SB make my eyes roll to the very back of my head. Some people, gifted as they may be, just can’t handle their internet.

upload_2021-7-2_11-31-9.png

The desktop Mac/PC versions are quite different user interfaces.

Which version do you have?

For CCR diving, there's some quirks in Multideco, especially with bailout planning. It does come up with the right answers, but some of the extra info (gas consumption) can be a bit odd. Similarly keep an eye on the start point of bailout gasses (e.g. define 80% as 10m).

I quite like it and trust it for diving.

I guess one of the limitations of planning is where you've planned for a 60m/200' dive, but have spent a large time on the deck of the wreck 15m above. That's where the planning's just a worst-case guide; it's the dive computers which you use to run the deco.

I calculate bailout with the add deco button, so set up the dive profile in ccr, select the gases used then add deco, which then gives you a profile using the oc gases at your chosen GFs and SAC.

You can then reference the volumes required and manipulate them to reflect how much gas you want to carry based on 1.5, 2 times the vol etc.

I use OC legs in the CCR plan for overhead or return to shot planning.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom