Multi-C Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfeDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I have an SEI Open Water Card and Nitrox Card.. I was told by an individual what I should also get a PDIC and CMAS card as well since those are also given out by SEI. Seriously, do I really need to have the Same open water card and Nitrox Card from PDIC as I have from SEI?? I understand why getting the CMAS card, could be a good idea.. Any input would be appreciated

Tim

Tim,

SEI Diving (Scuba Educators International) is an agency that was born out of and maintains the same basic standards of the YMCA Scuba Program. YUSA decided to drop its scuba program in 2008. The SEI Diving certification exceeds the standards of the RSTC and all national agencies in the US and is accepted here and abroad. Unless you are a card collector I would not bother getting additional cards for certification you already have.

Dan, SEI DIving Instructor Trainer

I agree with Dan. There is no need for you to get duplicate cards from PDIC. Although depending on which one you qualify for a CMAS 2 star or 3 star card may come in handy in some places in Europe or perhaps Quebec. When SEI was formed I pretty much single handedly conducted a worldwide email campaign to get operators, resorts and some shops familiar with us. Sent out hundreds of emails. By no means did I get all the resorts and boats. But based on feedback from more than a few, if they have a question they'd just do a short interview and pool session or checkout dive. Which many places require anyway. And that more should. The main cards you'll need though for most places are VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express unfortunately.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim,
Actually, for CMAS it would be a 1 star card. The 2 and 3 star cards require AOW and AOW+ from the information that I have received from Tammy and Tom. I am taking the the AOW course in January with Leslie Hiatt at Vortex Springs, Fl. I had Tom for my Open Water and my Nitrox Diving Course, so it will be interesting seeing the difference in instructing styles. In May, I am going to Belize, and the Dive Shop that I have been in contact with, has told me, that they have no problem with my SEI C-Cards, and the owner actually knows Tom. I am looking forward to their things head, and getting to dive more in April, before the Belize trip.... ice diving does not start my interest at all LOL

That's why I suggested the 2 or 3 star. I should have said at some point. The one star card I would not bother with as any place that enforces a CMAS qualification is not going to really let you dive independently with a buddy of equal level. They'll want you to have some type of higher level with you.

Agree 100%, I was recently in French Poynesia with my YMCA Silver Advanced Card. It should have been recognized as equivalent to a CMAS 2 Star. The Dive Centers there only recognized it as a 1 Star equivalent. This prevented me from doing a Hammerhead dive, which I really wanted to do.

I am in the process of having an SEI card and a CMAS 2 Star card issued to me in order to not have this issue in the future.

That's why I suggested the 2 or 3 star. I should have said at some point. The one star card I would not bother with as any place that enforces a CMAS qualification is not going to really let you dive independently with a buddy of equal level. They'll want you to have some type of higher level with you.

I will have my 2 Star CMAS Card before I leave for Belize. I am doing the Advanced Level 2 Course in March and DRAM at the end of April. I will have enough dives before I leave on May 22 for my 2 Star CMAS Card.

Tom is going my Adv Level 2 at the end of March... not sure i want to do ice diving lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom