"Muck" diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terryb

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have seen the word on a number of postings and still don't know what it means.

What is Muck diving? If it is similar to anything we have here in Ontario, Canada, then that would rate it along with diving in an old gravel pit for vis. Not something I want to pay big bucks and travel half of the world for.

Anyone got any pics?

Cheers,

I think Muck diving really refers to any kind of diving in a shallow area that isn't around coral. Quite often it has bad viz, but you are looking for creatures that are close up and often smaller.
Things like scorpion leaf fish maybe.
Borneo-080898.jpg

or crocodilefish
untitled-081202.jpg

or snake eels

Borneo-070659.jpg

Yes, the substrate is soil-ish, rather than coral or sand. Not only is it often the habitat for some striking and colorful animals, but the contrast can make for better pictures. The term may have been coined by Bob Halstead, erstwhile skipper of the Telita, to describe the diving around Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.

harlequinshrimp.jpg

blueribboneel.jpg

lembeh_snakefish.jpg

Muck diving according to wikipedia:

Muck diving gets its name from the sediment that lies beneath most dives: A normally muddy or "mucky" environment. Other than the muddy sediment, the standard muck dive may consist of dead coral skeletons, discarded fishing equipment, tires and other man-made garbage. In addition, the visibility is usually subpar to the reef or wreck sites of the area.

Muck diving according to muckdiving.com:

Muck Diving is a term that was made up to denote diving on barren bottoms or places other than coral reefs. It also usually means that you are looking for small marine animals.

Thanks all for the education.

Obviously not like diving a gravel pit in Ontario, been there got the T-shirt, don't need to do it again. I'm definitely into the macro so this looks like great diving to me. But seeing critters and getting wet is great diving to anyone from Ontario.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom