Muck diving or yuck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Visibility reports from last week were not very enthusiastic. Jim Lyle reported five feet visibility off Palos Verdes. We were hoping a couple of days of Santana winds would clear things up, but we were wrong. Visibility at Christmas Tree Reef was a dismal five feet with plenty of marine snot in the water.
We had bright sunlight in a cloudless sky as were motored around Rocky Point. The water was very green, but I figured it had to be better than my dock dive last week. The water was filled with plankton, diatoms, and all-around schmutz down to the sand at seventy feet, making it a night dive in the middle of the morning.
I left my diopter on the entire dive, photographing animals no larger than a grain of rice. I found a Cadlina sparsa on some red algae. I can count the number of them I've seen in more than three decades on one hand.
Near the end of the dive, I searched a wall where I had found Noumeaella rubrofasciata, Red-Headed Aeolid on two occasions. I found a tiny one (they're all tiny) and took three shots before handing it off to Merry Passage. She had never seen one, so that alone made the dive worth the effort.

1647128777461.png

Noumeaella rubrofasciata, Red-Headed Aeolid

1647128827999.png

Cadlina sparsa

1647128880493.png

Polycera tricolor

1647128913175.png

Orienthella trilineata

1647128958730.png

Phoronis ijimai, Vancouver Phoronid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back