MSDT instructor seeking information about job search strategies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srose1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since becoming a divemaster and then an instructor in 2002, I've worked at the local dive shop. Getting a job wasn't difficult because I had taken classes and shopped there. But how does one go about finding work as a full-time instructor and/or dive shop employee in a completely different area of the world, such as the Caribbean? Specifically:
  • Must one move there first and then look for work?
  • Do employers generally assist new hires in finding housing or provide housing?
  • Is the process different if you work on a cruise ship instead of a land-based operation?
  • Does the format of a scuba resume differ from resume formats used in the corporate world?
  • What skills are critical (repairing boat engines, holding a captain's license, writing for a website)?
  • Any suggestions for finding out average salaries in a particular region?
  • Other than Scuba Board, where are job openings posted?
  • What pitfalls should be on the lookout for?
Any advice anyone can offer on making the leap from part-time instructor (with a full-time mid-level office job) to full-time instructor (with no office job) would be most appreciated. Feel free to email me at suzannelrose@earthlink.net or reply here. Thanks for your help!
Suzanne

If you're PADI MSDT check the PADI employment boards.
If you've got some time/money go down and check out some different operations to see if you'd fit in there. Then go in and have a chat.

As always, pack half the clothes and twice the money.

Specifically:

• Do employers generally assist new hires in finding housing or provide housing?
  • Is the process different if you work on a cruise ship instead of a land-based operation?
  • Does the format of a scuba resume differ from resume formats used in the corporate world?
  • What skills are critical (repairing boat engines, holding a captain's license, writing for a website)?

Depending on the season you may be able to walk in to work. This can be financially and emotionally draining but you have to do the rounds and keep upbeat. Know that staff sometimes move on after a couple of months in to the job for different reasons, so all is not lost if you don't arrive at the right time. When is the right time? Usually 6 weeks before the start of the season. When is the season? Do your research.

I've worked in places with provided accom- it really depends on the operator and in what kind of condition you're willing to live in.

Scuba resumes don't necessarily differ much than any other resume. Keep it brief (one page), listing your skills/experience. What you can bring to the operation. Why they should pick you over someone else. A small photo. Note that internet access can be limited in some places do keep the attachment small if you're emailing. If you're in country, get some hardcopies and ask the DC to keep them on file for future reference. Always have a cellphone. Always accept the job- usually it'll be a DSD or something small as a 'test' to see how you work. If you decline, they won't call again.

Critical skill is in the attitude to learn and adapt. Other skills often depend on location; ie languages, IT experience, equipment maintenance etc. The 'all rounder' is usually desired- the more skills the better.

Average salaries are location dependent- I have no knowledge of the Caribbean. As a rule of thumb.... it's not much. You should be prepared to adapt your lifestyle to your salary but many people don't. God favours fools and drunks so they say.

Pitfalls... well you're in a foreign country away from friends and family. Accidents happen and you should always be insured. You should strongly consider always having access to enough money to get out if something bad happens.

Since becoming a divemaster and then an instructor in 2002, I've worked at the local dive shop. Getting a job wasn't difficult because I had taken classes and shopped there. But how does one go about finding work as a full-time instructor and/or dive shop employee in a completely different area of the world, such as the Caribbean? Specifically:
Any advice anyone can offer on making the leap from part-time instructor (with a full-time mid-level office job) to full-time instructor (with no office job) would be most appreciated. Feel free to email me at suzannelrose@earthlink.net or reply here. Thanks for your help!
Suzanne

Suzanne,
IMHO the following are the most valuable assets you can have:

1. Outgoing/Empathetic Personality
2. Language Skills One or more languages in addition to English
3. Equipment Repair skills/Compressor Knowledge.
4. Boat Handling SKills(6 PAX or 50-100 Ton Captains License).
5. Computer Skills.

Being prepared to work for a small salary for the first couple of years is important to survive in the industry...

Good Luck!!

Cheers,
Roger

Back
Top Bottom