MR22 Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I seem to have settled on the Mares 22 Abyss regulator (1st and second stage) for my first and possibly my only regulator. It turns out my local dive shop has both the 2007 and the 2008 model (for about 20% or $100 more for the '08). What is the basic difference between these 2 models? Is the '08 version that much better?
Is there going to be a 2009 model I should wait for (& begin saving for?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

If you review the Mares DEMA information, the '09 22 1st stage3 looks like it has been put on a diet - a lot of metal was removed (and was not necessary). The '09 Abyss has some changes in the appearance, but I think they are mostly cosmetic, also. The '08
Abyss, I think, added a place on the reg where the lever height could be adjusted without taking off the front cover.

The '07 is the "traditional" MR22 Abyss - with a new mesh cover.

If you are traveling and need to save weight - the '09 or even the '08 will save some. If you do not do much traveling, then save the money and get the '07 - great breather and bullet-proof.

If you really want to save weight for travel - get the 42 Abyss - light weight and breathes great. I prefer the Abyss to the Proton for a 2nd stage because I like the wider exhaust T. However, if you dive with a "long hose" - the routing with the 22 is better, since the DFC port is in the front on the 42.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom