MR22 & Abyss + Proton Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ste64

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the happy owner of a MR22 1st stage with Abyss 2nd stage; I'm actually running an octopus configuration with a Rebel backup regulator.
Now I saw this shop selling a Proton Metal 2nd stage and I'm thinking about replacing the Rebel with it: it sounds to me like it would be an awesome octopus! :14: (I'm going to try an hogartian config., so I could donate the Abyss and still use a great backup stage).
Is there any contraindication?

Thanks

ste64

I dive an Abyss on a long hose and have a Proton Ice bungied around my neck - makes sense to me to have 2 first rate regulators - that way you know you always have a good one in your mouth.

TN Traveler,

I second your thoughts. I have a first generation MR22 (1st / 2nd stage) and when I purchased it back in the 90's it was offerred with a Mares Beta octo (very basic 2nd stage...basic breathing ability but nothing special). A few years back I came across another 1st gen Abyss and replaced the Beta with the other MR22 2nd stage. I've never looked back...

In the last 6 months I have modified the reg for DIR-F use and it is still a first rate performer at any depth. Mares sure knows what they are doing with metal regs!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Having 2 top notch 2nd stages is the only way to go. When I was in Jamaica recently, my Abyss 2nd started breathing a little hard - still good, but harder than normal - so I just swapped it with the Proton Metal on a surface interval and still had a great breathing reg in my mouth.

Rebuilt the Abyss when I got home and swapped them back.

I don't think I would have wanted to do this if I had a cheap/poor performing octo.

Heck - I've been known to hang the Abyss 2nd on my harness and use the Proton Ice for part of my dive.

Back
Top Bottom