MP-1 Hands Free Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD Johnson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is a great deal for Scuba Board members and their friends on the new MP-1 Hands Free Lights. We are offering our Trade Show Pricing of $149.95 for a full set, that's (2) lights & gloves, Charger & Euro-Plug, just for reading this message on Scuba Board (suggested retail price $179.95). They were a big hit at Our World Underwater Scuba Show in Chicago, Illinois. We would like to thank everyone for turning out to see us. You can visit our web site at www.handsfreelights.com to see the lights and get some questions answered.

Also we are announcing that we will be at the Sea Space Scuba Show in Houston, Texas on Saturday & Sunday, March 31 - April 1. See you there...

Here is a great deal for Scuba Board members and their friends on the new MP-1 Hands Free Lights. We are offering our Trade Show Pricing of $149.95 for a full set, that's (2) lights & gloves, Charger & Euro-Plug, just for reading this message on Scuba Board (suggested retail price $179.95). They were a big hit at Our World Underwater Scuba Show in Chicago, Illinois. We would like to thank everyone for turning out to see us. You can visit our web site at Home to see the lights and get some questions answered.

Also we are announcing that we will be at the Sea Space Scuba Show in Houston, Texas on Saturday & Sunday, March 31 - April 1. See you there...
I'm intrigued by your lights. When you say they are as bright as a 60W bulb, it is a little confusing because it does not translate into brightness. How many lumens does one unit put out?

How do I order for your special?

Thank!

Might be interested myself if there was a deal on one light and not two.

Care to explain?
CREE and SEOUL make really good LEDs, basically. See, for example, Seoul Semiconductor Introduces The World's Brightest LED, A 240 Lumens Single Die Light Source.

In other words, I believe he's saying that it looks like inexpensive, commodity LEDs instead of ultra-modern high-end LEDs, and so, he believes the light isn't going to be up to his standards.

Personally, I'm more interested in the specifications. What's the shape of the light distribution? How bright (in actual scientific units) is the light? From the runtime, I'd normally assume it wouldn't be too bright, but as it uses a Li-Ion pack, the power density of its battery would be greater than "normal" batteries. Given the choice of an array of 10 small LEDs, I'd naturally assume the light pattern is diffuse, and any focusing ability the shape of the LEDs would normally confer will necessarily be reduced significantly by not having an air space (it appears they are in direct contact with water, but the photos don't present indisputable visual evidence of that).

It'd be interesting to take it into the water in a completely dark pool with a camera with manual settings to get some actual photos of the light pattern (from which a thorough analysis can be done). From the Bonne Terre Mine photo on the Features page, the nearest I can tell is the light on his right hand appears of have a beam angle (parallel to the plane of the photo) of about 55° +/- 5°, which would put it in the "generally soft lighting" area between "tight-beam signaling and penetrating light" and "ultra-wide beam video light". It might be nice to use in clear water where you want to gently light an area, but it's not something that'd be great for communicating on the beam, as it were.

(Oh, and by the way, the "Features", "Quantity Pricing", and "Buy Now" pages could use a title. "Page Title" is *so* 1995. :biggrin:)

I see them as being to expensive for a diffused light. if the beam was stonger and narrower it would be better. very nice idea though.

I saw these at the Long Beach show and from what I remember the light pattern was very diffused but bright. The concept is good though for specific tasks like bug hunting or exploring areas where some illumination is needed without having to hold a torch. Using one on both hands would allow you to light up an area to the outside of your line of travel while still illuminating your forward path. I could also see using it as a focus light for photography because you could direct the beam onto and then away from your subject with a very small hand movement, and still have your hands free to operate the camera. They seemed well made and the "glove" was fairly comfortable. But I'm going back 4 months in my memory so take this for what it is worth, just one divers opinion.

Over the weekend I modded a UK Q40 Flashlight with a CREE Emitter with a star. It was about 3-4 hours work. The UK light cost me about 25 dollars, the emitter 10 dollars. Soldering, epoxy, etc...

I was baffled at how bright the light was. In fact, I had to use 2 resistor to lower the voltage (reduce heat) cause I was afraid it would burn the LED.

Now this small UK light is almost as bright as my 4D Maglite with LED. I will take some pictures once I get one.

Over the weekend I modded a UK Q40 Flashlight with a CREE Emitter with a star. It was about 3-4 hours work. The UK light cost me about 25 dollars, the emitter 10 dollars. Soldering, epoxy, etc...

I was baffled at how bright the light was. In fact, I had to use 2 resistor to lower the voltage (reduce heat) cause I was afraid it would burn the LED.

Now this small UK light is almost as bright as my 4D Maglite with LED. I will take some pictures once I get one.
How much did you reduce the voltage, and could you do the same by eliminating/bypassing one of the batteries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom