Mozambique, really this time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robynn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

Can anyone help me with two questions please?

1. Does anyone know of a book which is essentially a guide to diving in Mozambique?
2. Where should I go in Moz if I want a combination of mantas, whalesharks and peace and quiet?

Thanks very much,
Robynn.

Don't know of any dive guide to Moz

The places that are good for Whalesharks and Mantas are all around the Inhambane area AFAIK,
unfortunately these are also the most popular places for tourists.

For peace and quiet I guess Casa John in Tohfinio is probably your best bet. Contact Tofo Scuba
::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home to see if they will pick you up - the dive centre is a few Km out of the town of Tofo.

Have a look at Scuba Diving in Inhambane: Tofo, Barra, and Guinjata Bay which has some of the popular area for diving in Mozambique, also i have dived all the coast of mozambique and will happily help with suggestions, Tofo is the best area for whalesharks see Ocean Safaris, Tofo Beach, Mozambique
which is some photos I took on the whale shark safari with Tofo Scuba they pretty much find whalesharks 9 times out of 10.
Mantas are found at 3 cleaning stations, see Giant's Castle Reef, Tofo, Mozambique for some photos from one of them - Giants castle

there is lots of places to stay from backpackers to lodges, some quieter thatn others.

I dive there at least 8 times a year (i live just across the border in SA) and have spent the last 3 years exploring the mozambique reef, I hope to add plenty more photos to my collection of all the reefs along the coast !

Good diving and anything i can help with please let me know.

Simon

Hi Robynn,

I've recently returned from Guinjata Bay Resort and it was excellent, saw whale sharks during the boat trip on almost most dives. The skippers were great and stopped the boat so we could jump off and snorkel with them. We saw mantas on Manta Reef on 4 out of 5 dives.

We avoided the December holiday season and went early in January, it couldn't have been more peaceful. Most holiday makers had already left and we had a dive boat to ourselves (6 in our group). Kobie, the divemaster, has got eyes in the back of head:D He pointed out quite a few "creatures" that I would never have spotted. My highlight was the frog fish he found in a crevice, it's the first one I'd ever seen.

Have a fantastic trip!!

Thanks so much, Zambezi, just the type of info I was looking for. I had been concerned about Guinjata being busy as it has such a good reputation, but on your recommendation I'll probably go there now.

Thanks again,
Robynn.

Just bear in mind that if you want real peace and quiet you need to miss the South African long weekends and school holidays, it can get quite busy at those times.

There's a long weekend 21 to 24 March and school holidays from 20 March to 14 April. I'd try to avoid that period.

Another thing, although you do see whale sharks all year round, their peak season is between October to February.

Hi Robynn
I run the guinjata bay web site please visit it to get more info guinjatabay.co.za
What Zambesi says is true it is an experience you will never forget if you would like more info send me a mail john@guinjatabay.co.za

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom