mozambique in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
If I go to Mozambique during their winter, what can I expect to see in the way of whale sharks/mantas? I would be in Tofo Beach. Also, between June, July, and August, is any one month better for whale sharks/mantas? Thanks.

Hi,
I was in Tofo in August 2008. We saw Mantas several times at Manta Point and snorkelled with several whale sharks. We saw whale sharks on two days out of about 9 total days of diving, so there certainly is no guarantee of seeing them. August is very good for whales which you see from the surface (although two divers in our group were lucky to get a glimpse of them on scuba).

It was generally windy with rough seas, but we managed to dive every day. The water temp was about 21°C if I remember correctly and I was glad to have brought a semi-dry suit with hood and gloves. The boats did usually not go back to shore between dives because of the difficult launching so you had to stay on the boat between dives and you could easily get sea sick and cold, but then it is between dives that you go looking for the whale sharks.

It was a very good trip, but the conditions in August are rougher than the usual tropical diving.

One of the (many) great things about Tofo is that we have a year-round population of mantas and whale sharks. Water will be in the low 20s, and conditions can get a bit rougher than usual, but the diving is still great. And depending on when you get here, you might even see a few humpbacks or the odd orca.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom