Moving to Muscat and looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam Jasiewicz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be moving to Oman in August for work and have a few questions for local experts. I would like to dive regularly, i.e. every other weekend or maybe more. Are there any reputable dive shops/clubs that anyone can recommend in Muscat? It would be for recreational diving but I would like to start working towards some technical qualifications slowly but it seems like that would only be available either in the UAE or further north towards Fujairah.

Secondly, is spear fishing illegal in Oman? I have seen ambiguous reports. Not that i do it currently but also something that i would be keen on trying.

Spearfishing is legal in Oman but as in the UAE, not while on SCUBA.

As for tech, I do not know about Muscat but I do know you could make a weekend out of it and come to Dibba, Fujairah, UAE. We offer tech courses at our center and have all the necesary equipment to conduct a high quality tech course.

Good luck on the move and prepare for a much slower life (except for the traffic which is must faster)

I can highly recommend Seaoman Dive Center, a PADI shop in Muscat. You will love diving the Daymaniyat Islands Nature Reserve, an approximate 50 minute fast boat ride NW of Muscat. When I was there last year on a one day stopover, the coral was in very good shape, and the marine life plentiful. We did not see any sharks, but the turtles and mantas made up for it. I would go back there for diving in a heartbeat. I don't know about technical training, but you can email them for information on courses beyond OW.

Edited to correct misspelling of Seaoman Dive Center.

Thanks for the response. I had assumed that if you could spearfish it would only be freediving which is fine as it is something that i would like to get into.
Do you have a link to the school you work with? I have seen a couple around.

Thanks for the response. I had assumed that if you could spearfish it would only be freediving which is fine as it is something that i would like to get into.
Do you have a link to the school you work with? I have seen a couple around.

I sure do Freestyle Divers

Spearfishing is legal in Oman but as in the UAE, not while on SCUBA.

Unless you're a local

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom