Moving to Honolulu, recs for 1st set of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanuck

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I am fortunate enough to be moving to Honolulu next month, and am thinking that this will be the deciding factor in finally buying a set of gear!

I'm a pretty novice diver (see profile for details) and have always used rental gear except for the snorkeling basics (mask, snorkel, fins). I'm thinking I'll be wanting to get everything except the tanks, and am looking for some specific recommendations. Some additional parameters:

1) A suit that makes the most sense for Hawaii style conditions; I'm OK with needing a separate suit for colder waters.
2) Nitrox capable computer (are there any that aren't these days?)

And a meta-question: I'm living in Seattle right now and will be shipping my household goods anyway, does it make more sense to buy here or when I get to HI? I know everything's more expensive on the island, but how much more? And since I won't likely be able to dive before the move, is it a bad idea to buy from a LDS in Seattle only to move away a few weeks later?

thanks!!

Hey Kanuck...I know nothing about buying gear in Hawaii and thier prices on the island. But assuming you have already left the mainland for paradise I would love to ask you a few questions as my wife and I are about to do the same as you...move to Oahu. We live in the Cali bay area and are finding it pretty hard to ship our household items and car to Hawaii. Any advice for us on this matter would be greatly appreciated. actually any adice in relocating there would be awsome! thanks alot! dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom