Moving to Germany, would like to keep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benenator

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My family is moving to Dusseldorf, Germany in a couple of days. I have my AOW and would really like to eep diving. I have done cold water diving and its ok with me, does anyone know if there is any somewhat local diving there?

You'll enjoy Dussel -- one of my favorite Nordrhein cities.

I've said on every trip over that I am going to add time to dive the old blast furnace stove in Duisburg (Startseite), but I never can squeeze in the extra days.

It depends what kind of diver you are. If you come from tropics and used to nice visibility - your profile spells Hawaii, the diving will be a shock therapy for you :) And if you dont dive dry suit yet, you will start :) Coz no matter if u do a quarry, Baltic sea or pristine Alps lakes, all share one common feature which is spelled with four letters: COLD.
I cant give you advice close to Dusseldorf. But i dived two or three very nice quarries close to Dresden (Horka and Prelle), and then Blindsee, Fernsteinsee+Samerangersee, which are in Austria, though so close to Garmisch that i m not sure if they are not in Germany. Also the lakes in Austria are nice - Wolfgangsee, Attersee, Gossausee and many others. More than worth a weekend trip.
If you are not used to this environment (low-vis to dark and cold), definitely spend some money and do first few dives + dry suit course with a local instructor.
I did my first certifications in tropics, i did even tec dives under 50m, and still, i will never forget the feeling on my first 20+m dive in Attersee. I realized this really is a different game that is played here. And, to my big surprise, I've loved it since! :)

DUS is a nicely connected airport, within a few hours you can get as far as the Canaries or the Red Sea. The Mediterranean is even closer, there are good dive sites in Croatia and Italy: ww1-2 wrecks, various sealife (although you have to do a little research with regards to sealife, most of the mediterranean, especilly Greece is overfished :(

In Germany you will find nice visibility in the alpine lakes in winter (the Bodensee is the biggest and has many dive shops) - OTOH, they are VERY cold.

Is there much to see in the lakes? I'm used to many northern lakes having nice shallows, but much of what is under 6m is often barren and empty. I've made many 1 hours dives where we just confirmed that below 6m there was a mud bottom and darkness, maybe 2 rocks if it was a real exciting dive.

Yes, yes: many lakes are very different and beautifil and ful of life, but I have to admit that the average cold lake has been like what I just described.

My family is moving to Dusseldorf, Germany in a couple of days. I have my AOW and would really like to eep diving. I have done cold water diving and its ok with me, does anyone know if there is any somewhat local diving there?

You should be able to fly very easily to the Red Sea from Germany and there is beautiful warm water diving there and lots of liveaboards.

Back
Top Bottom