Moving to Europe, regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the water is very cold (very close to freezing), one single, good, cold water compatible 1st should be enough. If the tank is 200 or 232 bar with a modern valve, just get a DIN to yoke insert and mount your reg on the valve.

Since the OP mentioned Germany: beyond what you personally deem safe, you also need to consider local regulations. There isnt a national regulation, but there are local rules for specific dive sites. Sometumes these will mandate two separate first stages, sometimes they wont.

OP do you already know where you will likely dive?

Other than that, agree, just have your current reg converted to DIN.

beyond what you personally deem safe, you also need to consider local regulations.
Good point. In my part of Europe I've never encountered local regulations which dictate what type of gear I should use, so I didn't think about that.

Good point. In my part of Europe I've never encountered local regulations which dictate what type of gear I should use, so I didn't think about that.
there was more regulations here in the past but most of them were lifted and almost all of the others are rarely followed strictly as far as I have seen. even the tanks are rarely the "proper color" painted for scuba air use (the tank shoulder with white and black sectors) and most of the new tanks sold here are painted plain white is totally against regulations but everyone still uses them including the scuba stores :p

there is one store in another town which mandates the divers to have a separate scuba insurance like DAN or similar (our healthcare system covers chamber treatments and helicopter evacuation so it is not specifically needed here at all by my opinion) and asks for cards etc before allowing one on board but it is pretty much an exception I think and their trips are expensive so haven't tried them yet.

No one has so far asked to see my cert cards even once when filling tanks or purchasing gear or doing trips etc. One tank was denied to fill once because the hydro stamp was too old, that is basically the only thing they seem to be very strict about :)

Anyway, Germany may have more strict legislation so one needs to check out the specific locations like others mentioned. If the two separate 1st stages are really mandated by the operators I would go for small doubles though like 7/232 or 7/300, would probably be more useful if really having regular free flows underwater and there is still plenty of air for doing cold water dives where keeping warm enough is really an issue even with a drysuit and heavy undergarments

even the tanks are rarely the "proper color" painted for scuba air use (the tank shoulder with white and black sectors)
Well, that's just plain wrong. A proper scuba tank is steel, made by Faber and is painted solid yellow (allowing for Eurocylinder tanks which are painted white and are a PITA for us underwater photogs). That's just how it is.

I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that the issue in Germany is not national or local regulations it is the rules set by those that manage specific sites. Often lakes and quarries are owned, leased, and/or managed by dive clubs that set there own rules that must be followed if one is going to dive at their site. At some sites, particularly in Germany, one must dive with 2 1st stages. I have been told there are some sites that dictate one must have a redundant air supply as well (twin set, pony bottle, 2 side-mount cylinders, etc.). Here in Belgium there are sites that forbid solo diving even the diver is certified to do so, and there are sites whose managing club do not recognize any certifications from organizations other than LIFRAS and CMAS.

All this is moot if one heads north to the coast, but that is often a long drive for so-so diving.

When I first moved here I was skeptical about diving in lakes and quarries but there is something to be said for diving in freshwater, when you get home you just need to hang your gear up to dry., no need for soaking and such. If I am going to dive in salt water and incur the PITA aspect of cleaning my gear, the diving better be worth it. If not I would rather blow bubbles in the local fresh water sites and save the wear and tear on my gear.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom