Move European tanks to California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm starting to plan a move back from Europe to the U.S. and considering whether or not to include my scuba tanks in the shipment. I have two relatively old European 15 liter Steel tanks with 3/4" neck and double DIN valves (H valve configuration).
One tank is from the early 80s and the other from the late 70s. Both tanks have current hydro (one from Italy the other from Switzerland) and almost new valves. The tanks are rated for 200 BAR or 3000 PSI. I guess that would make it roughly 100 Cubic Feet?
Assuming that the cost of shipping is irrelevant or negligible, would you recommend bringing these tanks with me?
Would I have any trouble getting them filled in California? I'll be moving to Central California and probably dive mostly in the Monterey area.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers

If tanks are not stamped with DOT, no one should fill them in the US.

3/4" neck threads look just like m25(?) neck threads, but are not M25 neck threads.

Do the valves have burst disks?

(Also, unless shipping is free it is just not going to be worth it. Tanks are not that expensive. Sell them where you are and buy when you get here.)

unless shipping is free it is just not going to be worth it
Let's assume that shipping is indeed free. I expect to have a large enough household allowance (paid for by employer) that would cover the shipping cost for the tanks.
The necks are NOT M25 but indeed 3/4".

Do the valves have burst disks?
The valves are pretty much brand new and should have burst disks.

If tanks are not stamped with DOT, no one should fill them in the US.
This means that I simply need to get a fresh Hydrostatic test in the US to get the DOT stamp, right?

This means that I simply need to get a fresh Hydrostatic test in the US to get the DOT stamp, right?

No. It means that they are not DOT approved and can not be hydroed or commercially filled in the USA. Essentially, the tank design has not been accepted in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom