Mounting a Pony w/Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Wet Ones,

After years of "virtual" solo diving (with random buddies who, half the time, would not be able to respond to an emergency), I've lately done the real thing. The captain of the boat from which I dive almost exclusively in my part of the world has granted me the privilege. So far I've either dived deep with a good sized group or shallow (max 50 ft) , drift dives totally alone. As an amateur photog, I love the freedom of being able to spend as much time as I like in one spot.

I've searched around the board and found some info on pony bottle mounting but not an answer to my specific question: how one mounts on a tank with a Dive Rite Transpac BC. This BC, as you may know, has two tank straps. There's very little spare strap available for mounting, say, the X-Bracket and I don't know how I'd be able to mount another product I've seen on the web, Aqua Explorer's ultimate pony bracket, with the two straps. (BTW, I'm using the travel wing w/out backplate)

Can you offer some suggestions? I'm not one for super-redundancy. I'd be comfortable with the simplest setup for a 13 cf bottle. (I already have a nice Oceanic Delta II reg with simple SPG that I could bungee on). Oh, and, I'm NOT a DIY guy!

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

I'm not a solo diver but I dive with a Transpac II and sometimes use a 30 ft3 pony. I have a Super pony tamer. There are a couple different versions depending on the size of your pony. One part of the bracket is attached the main tank and the mating piece to the pony. The only disadvantage is you have to have a the bracketry on every primary tank you use or plan to use a pony with. But, it's a good bracket.

Paula

I guy I dive with on occassion uses a 13 cu ft pony and an AE ultimate pony bracket with his transpac. It is a little extra bother to thread the strap for the bracket behind the tank in between the cam straps for the transpac but it can be done as long as the cam bands on the transpac are loosened a bit to provide some room between the tank and BC. The tank then hangs off the tank valve by that particular strap until you get all three cam bands fastened.

You can also do it by placing the cam bands over the tank in order which is a two handed affair where a third hand and some coordination also comes in handy.

Alternatively you can switch to Scubapro style camband buckles that separate (or their generic equivalent). This is the easiest way to go as the pony can then be installed on the tank before you strap the tank to the Transpac.

I dive the old ScubaPro X-Tek BC which is quite similar. I mount my pony bottle at the bottom of the main tank upside down (valve down so I can easily reach to my side and open it). The two tank bands on the BCD fit above it although you have to mount the pony close to the wing to ensure you can secure the tank bands.

If I had a picture, I'd send it to you.

Doc

I dive a DR transplate with the exact same twin strap configuration.

I use the ponease bottle mount... go to... www.sea-lutions.com/ponease
and take a look......works for me.

rich

Hey all,

Appreciate your feedback...got a good range of choices to look at here. At first glance, the Ponease seems like the best for me, but I'll check out the other possibilities as well.

DrBill, how do you attach your (upside-down) pony to your main tank?

Thanks again, everyone.

Regards,

I have another suggestion, why mount it at all? I used to dive with a ponease type bracket. I have since moved manifolded doubles and carry my o2 in a stage configuration(two clips carried slung under my left arm). It is not in the way at all and the advantage is you can have access to the valve and reg.(i keep mine charged but closed untill i need it) Years ago the shop i teach for had a diver killed when his back mounted pony free flowed and was empty when he needed it. Our owner now stongly advises the stage configuration and I like it. Just a thought.

wscdive:
I have another suggestion, why mount it at all? ]

I've thought of that but, as a photog, I don't want to deal with anything dangling and it seems as though the stage config might get in my way.

I use an AquaLung pony mounting plate that ChrisM gave me to attach it. I used to use a cloth bag, but it did have a bit of movement that made it slightly uinstable. Before that I used to sling it, but it did get in the way when I videotaped subjects on the bottom. Current configuration works nicely except when I'm mucking around in the thick kelp. I do get entangled a bit, but that's no big sweat.

I'll see if I can take a picture of the set up today at the Park.

Doc

peterjmaerz:
wscdive:
I have another suggestion, why mount it at all? ]

I've thought of that but, as a photog, I don't want to deal with anything dangling and it seems as though the stage config might get in my way.

I've tried both back and stage mounting, and in my experience the stage isn't in the way, and is easier to access. You might want to give it a try before deciding against it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom