Mounting a GoPro Hero 4 to the accessory mount on PT-059 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was hoping to mount my old GoPro to the PT-059 housing for my new Olympus TG-6 camera. However, the standard cold shoe mount I got (see link at end of post) doesn't fit the accessory mount. Has anybody found a GoPro mount that fits the housing?

I see several on-line, but the best looking one notes it won't fit a cold shoe, but will fit a hot shoe. I presume the accessory mount is a cold shoe, and can verify it's not electrically "hot." But perhaps it's sized as a hot shoe? To be honest, I didn't know there was a difference in the structure of a cold shoe and hot shoe mount, beyond one being wired so the flash can be controlled.

Thanks!

Link to Suptig mount I tried that didn't work. Besides not fitting, it's really poorly made:

https://www.amazon.com/Suptig-Adapt...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=)

I've carried a go-pro on top of cold shoe mounts for some time. However, my situation was a bit different. My big housing (Nauticam NA-7D) came with a cold shoe mount that has a 1" ball on the other end. I put a ball mount on my go-pro that I 3D Printed and then used the butterfly ball clamp to make it all work.

It doesn't stick up too much because you can "scissor" the butterfly clamp to make it fairly compact.

I tried it on my PT-059 housing and it will work fine. I often ball mount a SOLA light there as an alternative.

Sorry, but I should have asked first... in what way exactly does it not fit? Any way you could take a picture?

I was hoping to mount my old GoPro to the PT-059 housing for my new Olympus TG-6 camera. However, the standard cold shoe mount I got (see link at end of post) doesn't fit the accessory mount. Has anybody found a GoPro mount that fits the housing?

I see several on-line, but the best looking one notes it won't fit a cold shoe, but will fit a hot shoe. I presume the accessory mount is a cold shoe, and can verify it's not electrically "hot." But perhaps it's sized as a hot shoe? To be honest, I didn't know there was a difference in the structure of a cold shoe and hot shoe mount, beyond one being wired so the flash can be controlled.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I should have asked first... in what way exactly does it not fit? Any way you could take a picture?

Thanks to you both for the response. I don't have a photo, but using the image of a better option outofofficeBRB linked to, the problem is the thumb screw. It has exposed threads below it that are broader than the slot in the cold shoe. Where OOOBRB's link has two plates (presumably one above and one below the cold shoe u-shaped plate, the Suptig only has the lower plate. The thumb screw is supposed to be the upper side of the "clamp." The problem is there's just not enough gap.

I ended up calling Backscatter and they recommended a specific unit. Should have it by Monday to try out....

Thanks to you both for the response. I don't have a photo, but using the image of a better option outofofficeBRB linked to, the problem is the thumb screw. It has exposed threads below it that are broader than the slot in the cold shoe. Where OOOBRB's link has two plates (presumably one above and one below the cold shoe u-shaped plate, the Suptig only has the lower plate. The thumb screw is supposed to be the upper side of the "clamp." The problem is there's just not enough gap.

I ended up calling Backscatter and they recommended a specific unit. Should have it by Monday to try out....

Please update us if you remember. I'm curious if it works out for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom