mount weights to Dive Rite SS XT LITE BACKPLATE and/or basic harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eptel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all

I recently purchased Dive Rite SS XT LITE BACKPLATE + basic harness + Voyager EXP wing.
I'm trying to avoid using weight belt and weights on cam bands and was wondering what are the options to carry weights with this setup?
Can I purchase some weight pockets and mount them to the backplate itself? If so, which ones would you recommend? Or is this a completely bad idea and I simply should stick to weight belt?
I'll be diving in warm waters wearing full 3/2mm wetsuit or diving in cold waters (e.g. lake Ontario) wearing full 5mm.

Thanks!

You could check out the Zeagle zip touch weight system. I don't know if the screws line up with existing holes but you could drill new holes.

Thanks for suggestion!
Do you happen to have this system yourself? I'd like to get an idea of screw locations/measurements to see if it can fit my plate without drilling

I believe that backplate has many mounting holes and cutouts. You could use zipties and not worry about finding pockets with perfectly located mounting screws.

I mounted it on a dive rite aluminum backplate and drilled two new holes. Haven't tried it on the ss xt lite backplate. Ron scuba has a perfectly good solution of using zip ties, I would use heavy ones though.

Hi all

I recently purchased Dive Rite SS XT LITE BACKPLATE + basic harness + Voyager EXP wing.
I'm trying to avoid using weight belt and weights on cam bands and was wondering what are the options to carry weights with this setup?
Can I purchase some weight pockets and mount them to the backplate itself? If so, which ones would you recommend? Or is this a completely bad idea and I simply should stick to weight belt?
I'll be diving in warm waters wearing full 3/2mm wetsuit or diving in cold waters (e.g. lake Ontario) wearing full 5mm.

Thanks!
Why no weights on cam bands (with a STA)? My wife and I have the DiveRite travel weight pockets on the cam bands with our XT Lite backplates and it works fine, and is easy to adjust. Other friends saw our backplates and I helped them swap their Transplate harnesses from their regular DiveRite backplates to the Lite ones, and in doing so moved over their DiveRite 16 LB QB weight pockets to the waist strap and that works well too

You could check out the Zeagle zip touch weight system. I don't know if the screws line up with existing holes but you could drill new holes.

I have the Zip-Touch weight system on my Zeagle Express Tech and the center-to-center hole spacing is 4.5". Excellent system and easy to dump if needed.

XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket It doesn't get much simpler. One on each side of your waist strap, maybe one or two more on the cam straps, depending on how much you need, and where.

Last edited:
Thank you all!
As a total newbie i really appreciate everyone's input!

If I'm to go with weight pockets on cam straps, will it affect cam straps durability?
My wing came with Dive Rite plastic cam straps, however i have an option to upgrade to stainless steel buckles
.Is it worth to pay $50 CAD extra for stainless steel buckels or plastic ones would suffice to hold weight pockets?

Plastic vs steel buckles makes no difference for installing weight pockets on cam straps. If your cam strap has the appropriate tension when closed the weight pockets will sit bomb proof. It also does not affect cam strap durability. You'll live a long life if you outlast your cam straps.

Back
Top Bottom