Mount Sola light to dome shade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dannybot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to add a video light to my camera. I have an SLR with twin DS160’s. I have been generally happy with this set up, but recently borrowed an Olympus TG set up with Sola lights. I was amazed by the light output and perfectly even, ultra-wide flood of the Sola lights.

I would like to add a Sola to my SLR set up to use as a focus light, or for video. I don’t have a cold shoe, and want to put it on the arms to avoid shadow problems from the dome. How could I mount it to the shade ring on the dome?

In general, this sounds like a bad idea, because you will maximize your backscatter for any video.
Are you using arms for your DS160s?

Another method is to use multi-purpose shackle clamps with an additional ball mount made specifically to add to it. Parts are:

Ball

Clamp

There’s a good picture of how this works on the page with the clamp. If you have big fatty float arms, get the longer version of the clamp linked on those pages.

This allows you to get lights out away from your lens, and can be used between arms or at the arm/strobe connection. Triple clamps are an option for this too, but they’re a lot more fiddly to set up and use.

If you like Sola lights, might want to check out Fix Neo too. I have both and find FN to be more versatile and longer burn, plus the batteries are removable for swapping on multiple dive days.

Have fun with it,

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom